xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Programmer Problems  (Read 200 times)

swjedi101

• Archived User
Programmer Problems
« on: June 14, 2003, 12:52:00 PM »

so i have modded a few boxes for myself, all is well. and this moron friend of mine decides he doesn't need my help and goes it alone....breaks his first box. and now comes crawling to me......hands me a new box, x2 lite 2.1 and a programmer......and the chip isn't working like it should, i think he tried to program it and messed it up, so i am attempting to at least read the bios on the chip to see what it is (note the box will not boot with this chip at all).........so i have never messed with this printerport programmer deal and i'm having an awful amout of trouble..... i have done my research (i hope) and i have the x2cable, x2bm and x2lite flasher all in the samer folder....and i can manage my way around it with some sense of what i am doing.....but when ever it tries to communicate with the external reader - the x2cable thing dies, i get a polite message from microcrap saying it failed and if i want to send a message alerting them of their failure......anyway, this happens on my PC and my laptop, what am i doing wrong, does this not work with XP, am i missing something? thanks for you time. -G

Lerxst

• Archived User
Programmer Problems
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2003, 01:21:00 PM »

I'll try to help.

Have you tried running the command line (x2cable) without the GUI? Try doing that ( a read or chip info) and see if you can can an error code and tell me exactly what it says. You can also check my tutorial in my sig.

~Lerxst

swjedi101

• Archived User
Programmer Problems
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2003, 06:58:00 PM »

i tired at the command prompt and it just gives me a standard error box, and asks if i would like to tell M$dick, i don't get a specific number. it jus fails..... what do you think?

swjedi101

• Archived User
Programmer Problems
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2003, 07:37:00 PM »

PS.... its as if my computer does not recognize the programmer at all.....does it have anything to do with what mode my port is in, either EPP, ECP, or bi-direct?.... just thought i'd add that, thanks again. -G

GiggyNiggy

• Archived User
Programmer Problems
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2003, 06:55:00 PM »

I also have the same problem with a couple chips that I have. Got them from some buddies that thought they knew what they were doing. Both mods are now all messed up (bios flash problem) since I can boot up both systems no prob if I put my X2 lite in either system. The errors I am getting now are
SYNC=F for the one, and the other will simply go through all the flashing process but when it gets to done writting it never makes it to verify and I simply get a 00000f or something error. Any help  Lerxst?? and btw the tutorial is great, just need to get past this little setback.

Thanks

Giggy

Morglum

• Archived User
Programmer Problems
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2003, 10:09:00 PM »

For a start make sure the programmer is connected to the FIRST port on your PC, x2cable wont work on anything other than port 1 (my personal findings as i have 3 printer ports) Also make sure you actually have the programmer powered, this got me stuck for about 10mins till i realised i forgot to flick the little switch to use USB power, make sure you got the switch set to use the right power source you want.

GiggyNiggy

• Archived User
Programmer Problems
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2003, 11:05:00 PM »

Only have one port to hook it up too...have tried both power supplies of USB and 9V from the wall, in both instances the switch was in the correct position and the leds were lit up, the programmer is secured in the port and I still got the same damn prob...I'm thinking it is an XP prob, combined with a need for pure DOS mode

Giggy

Morglum

• Archived User
Programmer Problems
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2003, 11:08:00 PM »

Mine seemed to only flash if bank 2 was selected, try that on yours.

GiggyNiggy

• Archived User
Programmer Problems
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2003, 11:14:00 PM »

What do you mean by selecting bank 2?

Giggy

Morglum

• Archived User
Programmer Problems
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2003, 11:32:00 PM »

Well when you flash you need to have flash protection off. Well on mine for it to work i had to have the switch set to bank 2 also. It flashed both with the chip enabled and disabled so i dont think that matters. But set your chip to bank 2 and try again.

flattspott

• Archived User
Programmer Problems
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2003, 01:14:00 AM »

When I programmed my friends Matrix (connected to the parallel port) I had to uninstall my printer driver to get it to work.

Lerxst

• Archived User
Programmer Problems
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2003, 08:19:00 AM »

QUOTE (GiggyNiggy @ Jun 16 2003, 09:55 PM)
I also have the same problem with a couple chips that I have. Got them from some buddies that thought they knew what they were doing. Both mods are now all messed up (bios flash problem) since I can boot up both systems no prob if I put my X2 lite in either system. The errors I am getting now are
SYNC=F for the one, and the other will simply go through all the flashing process but when it gets to done writting it never makes it to verify and I simply get a 00000f or something error. Any help  Lerxst?? and btw the tutorial is great, just need to get past this little setback.

Thanks

Giggy

Okay, If you are getting SYNC=F and it just scrolls and scrolls, x2cable is not seeing the programmer or chip. If you are using a DB-25 cable to connect, that could be the problem - try a different cable. If the programmer is connected directly to the port and you are still getting these errors, check your printer port number in the (PC) bios and try setting the port that x2cable is using to that port.

I've seen many people say to disable ECP in the PC bios, but both computers that I have tried it on (with ECP enabled) work fine. You can disable it to see if it has any effect for you.

If you get SYNC=F and it still performs a function somewhat, try letting it sit powered up for a min. or two. What I mean by that is, if you do a read and it still shows progress, but you get intermittent SYNC errors. What seems to happen is that the capacitors take some time to charge before giving the voltage it needs to SYNC correctly.

Another thing to try is right clicking on the x2cable.exe then select properties>compatibility. and set to emulate windows 95. Then run the program again from a DOS prompt and see if this helps.

~Lerxst

GiggyNiggy

• Archived User
Programmer Problems
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2003, 12:11:00 PM »

Here is what I get now with yet another chip

C:x2x2cable w bios.bin
Erasing done.....11secs
Writing....
ERROR  SYNC=F --A bunch of times...20 or so

Done time taken 832secs
verifying--> but stops at about 10% and gets this
ERROR at location 05555h!

Any sugg?

Giggy

Morglum

• Archived User
Programmer Problems
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2003, 11:31:00 PM »

Dont use a cable, just plug the programmer directly into the back of your PC, thats what i did, and thats all i can really suggest you try, sorry.

GiggyNiggy

• Archived User
Programmer Problems
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2003, 12:09:00 PM »

That is what I get..the programmer is plugged directly into the LPT port at the back.

Giggy
Pages: [1] 2