xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Changing Xecuter Bios Logo  (Read 141 times)

Xzigx

• Archived User
Changing Xecuter Bios Logo
« on: March 28, 2003, 05:42:00 AM »

How can this be done, I've tried looking at the file and comparing the bios against the original MS bios in HEX workshop but I have very little experience with this kind of thing, anyone care to give a kind nudge in the right direction?????  thankx

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2003, 05:44:00 AM »

QUOTE (Xzigx @ Mar 28 2003, 09:35 AM)
How can this be done, I've tried looking at the file and comparing the bios against the original MS bios in HEX workshop but I have very little experience with this kind of thing, anyone care to give a kind nudge in the right direction?????  thankx

Why should anybody change it?

Give credit to the team that delivered you a FREE BIOS and worked hard to deliver enhancements.

Removing the logo, IMO, is like scratching out Picasso's name on one of his paintings and scribbling your own garbage on it.

Xzigx

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2003, 05:51:00 AM »

Well, I agree with you.  Hard work should be recognized and acknowledged.  However I am more interested in the educational aspect of it rather then the asthetic value.  I was just wondering If anyone would be kind enough to help me learn.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2003, 06:00:00 AM »

QUOTE (Xzigx @ Mar 28 2003, 09:44 AM)
Well, I agree with you.  Hard work should be recognized and acknowledged.  However I am more interested in the educational aspect of it rather then the asthetic value.  I was just wondering If anyone would be kind enough to help me learn.

What I do know it was not an easy thing for Team Xecutor to do.

Really, there's no reason to even bother with it, not even from an educational standpoint. Do you know how to extend the BIOS with custom code? That's a far more interesting and educational excercise than changing graphics.

The "X" logo above it is, by the way, immutable... none of the BIOS release groups have changed it, so I assume it comes out of the MCPX.

X2 BIOSes have an enhancement that allows them to place their own custom logo under the "X", whereas normally, the system will place the logo image from the executable it's loading up (the dashboard, for example), just before loading and launching the executable. This is why "Matrix Inside" comes up on non-X2 BIOSes on Xboxes running the Evo-X dashboard.... that's actually the title logo installed in the evoxdash.xbe file.

That's about all the infromation you'll get on the boot logo. I seriously doubt Team Xecutor will tell anybody what they do to display it or give up the storage location fo the bitmap, though you are free to disassemble their work and figure it out for yourself. Most of the developers here with the knowledge and capability will likely refrain from bothering with it, as there are better mysteries to explore, given the time.

razorrifh

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2003, 12:26:00 AM »

sorry if im over simplifying this, but it seems to me that they would find the part of the code where it displays the 'MS' image and replace it with the xecuter logo, then i would think there's an if statement saying "if there is a logo in the xbe, then load it" and if you just delete that, then its all good. xececuter prolly did it a harder way though, since they're programming the bios in c++, they prolly rewrote the whole thing, or most of it. just my thoughts. and if you want, get a bios that works on both versions of box's, and use xbtool to extract it, or pm me for the rc4 for the v1 boxs. (just in case you wanna re-program the bios)

This post has been edited by razorrifh: Mar 30 2003, 08:26 AM

OllieD

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2003, 12:46:00 PM »

I Would Have Thought That They Would Have Used The Media Patch Code. (If Im Correct It Modifies The Data At The Location Of The Media Flag In The Memory Of The Xbe As Its Running To Let Games Run From The HD) So Therefore It Should Be Just As Easy To Use The Same Sort Of Code To Place Their "XECUTER2" Logo's Data At The Memory Address Of The MS Logo In Any Loaded Xbe ?

Just A Thought.
Im A Programmer And I Know The Concepts. (I Tend To Be Right But This Is Just A Guess.)

smile.gif

Wishi

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2003, 01:05:00 PM »

You may be a programmer, but is there a reason you capitalise all of your words? Looks strange and is harder on the eyes.

And to stay on topic, I also don't see the point of changing it. LogoX did allow you to change the graphic however when it was released by Superfro (oh, it seems like an age ago now).

If it's just for learning purposes you could download this if you can find it, however, I can't remember if it just changes the logo in EvoX or in the bios as my memory seems to be telling me to piss off smile.gif

OllieD

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2003, 01:36:00 PM »

Sorry Just One Of The Many Flaws An Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Has On Me. Sorry If  If I Offended Anyone By Being Different. sad.gif
And Just To Jump Your Memory For You smile.gif It Patches The Xbe's Not The Bios So If Your Using The Xecuter2 Bios The "XECUTER2" Logo Still Appears.

ukred11

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2003, 04:58:00 AM »

ubergeek has stated that the xecuter 2 logo is hardwired into the bios
if u want to change it u will have to hack the bios to do so