xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Updating The Codecs To Play My Xvids  (Read 147 times)

brandonba

• Archived User
Updating The Codecs To Play My Xvids
« on: April 14, 2005, 12:50:00 AM »

Anybody update their codec to play xvids?  mine just play the audio. i got a codec pack put it in no dice.

kkattfish

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 12:59:00 AM »

use xbmc plays everything i have seen so far

brandonba

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 03:48:00 PM »

I like xbmp better.  the picture is better.

Conundrum1911

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 05:53:00 AM »

I'm trying to figure out how to update the xvid codec in xbmp myself (it has to be done with both the uncomplied source of xvid and xbmp)...I'm not a programmer but I think if I pick at it over time I'll get it up and running properly using the last xbmp cvs and the latest stable build of xvid.

If I can get it to work, I'll see if I can upload it to the "usual places", that way others like yourself can get it as well.

And if ppl are wondering why I would go to the trouble....I've tried almost every version of xbmc since its release, and none of them looked as clear and as vivid as xbmp does/did (its like xbmp is running in 24/32-bit colour mode, whereas xbmc is running at 16-bit)

so dispite the fact that most ppl prefer xbmc, there are some of us who still hold a candle to xbmp instead.

SigTom

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2005, 03:24:00 AM »

This has been asked and answered before (yes about XBMP).  So search and ye shall find.  If ya dont find it, ya aint looking hard enough, I see 3 diff posts in my search results now.

Oh, and get your eyes checked if you think that XBMC picture qulaity is inferior to XBMP.   Better yet, get your eyes checked and get a HDTV.

This post has been edited by SigTom: Apr 23 2005, 10:26 AM

Dolfhin

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2005, 06:52:00 AM »

QUOTE(brandonba @ Apr 14 2005, 09:54 PM)
I like xbmp better.  the picture is better.

XBMC has been updated and the picture quality has been improved a lot, try a recent build and you'll be blown away.

Conundrum1911

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2005, 07:33:00 PM »

I've upgraded to the May 25 2005 CVS of XBMC 1.1 and although the picture is good, it still is "grainy" in comparison to XBMP...and to know I am not going crazy I put this on both my XBOXes, one connected via Madcatz s-video to a Toshiba 29" CRT TV, and the other connected via Madcatz Component to a Sony Wega 60" LCD...on both sets XBMP still looks "better".

And I am still looking into updating the xvid core, however I have run into problem procuring Visual Studio 7.0 (I have VS 6.0 and .NET 2003, its just 7.0 that I am missing, which is what XBMP was written in apparently).

deltop

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 02:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(Conundrum1911 @ Jun 13 2005, 03:44 AM)
I've upgraded to the May 25 2005 CVS of XBMC 1.1 and although the picture is good, it still is "grainy" in comparison to XBMP...and to know I am not going crazy I put this on both my XBOXes, one connected via Madcatz s-video to a Toshiba 29" CRT TV, and the other connected via Madcatz Component to a Sony Wega 60" LCD...on both sets XBMP still looks "better".

And I am still looking into updating the xvid core, however I have run into problem procuring Visual Studio 7.0 (I have VS 6.0 and .NET 2003, its just 7.0 that I am missing, which is what XBMP was written in apparently).

Just checking but when you tested xbmc recently you DID make sure you used Hardware Overlays right?

This is what seems to have made the difference in picture quality. XBMP used overlays and XBMC never used to but it does now. But as long as you make sure that overlays is selcted in the settings you shuld in theory get the same quality as you do with xbmp.

Unless you know quite a bit about c++ your going to have a very hard time updating XBMP yourself.