xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbmp Ntsc-j Error  (Read 58 times)

RustAngel

• Archived User
Xbmp Ntsc-j Error
« on: January 17, 2005, 09:09:00 PM »

Hey all,

Sorry to start another topic on this error but the search function and sticky didn't help me - a customer of mine brought his box back to me after changing the settings in XBMP to NTSC-j and messing with the resolution. His box now behaves as follows:

- "Chip off" boot: Box boots, normal green flubber animation and sound, then goes to error 21.
- "Chip on" boot: Box boots, blue modded flubber animation with sound, goes to xbox logo splash screen except the top corners of the picture are skewed inwards (I can tell because my BIOS splash screen background is white, so I have 2 black triangles top right and top left on my picture), then box reboots itself, then green flubber animation, then error 21.
- "Chip on" boot, evox bootdisc in DVDROM (I was trying to load enigmah to switch the videomode back to PAL) - box boots, blue flubber animation, skewed xbox splash screen, reboot and repeat over and over again. There's nothing wrong with the bootdisc, I've used it to flash modchip BIOSes and format HDDs in 50+ xboxes.

I cannot get this thing to boot a disc (so no videomode switchdisc fix), it doesn't load the dash so obviously FTP is out. I haven't yet tried to boot with a movie DVD or a retail game in the drive, and I haven't yet tried booting with the vid cable unplugged (suggested fix which apparently worked for others in this forum). I'll try all these options tonight. Failing that, has anyone else had this error, do they know what causes it, and were they able to fix it?

Cheers!

RustAngel

RustAngel

• Archived User
Xbmp Ntsc-j Error
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 02:17:00 PM »

Well I sorted it out, for anyone who has the same error you can try this fix:

1) Boot xbox with video cable unplugged (eject light will flash green and orange) and an Enigmah Videomode boot disc in the DVDROM
2) Wait until you hear the DVDROM stop reading, then push "A" (for PAL) or "B" (for NTSC)
3) Reboot xbox

Your video mode should now be back to normal, and your xbox should boot.

I actually used an EvoX-based boot disc similar to Slayer's, with the Enigmah videomode switcher loaded as an app from it, but it still worked.

Cheers guys, hope that helps someone!

RustAngel

Fleck

• Archived User
Xbmp Ntsc-j Error
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 07:40:00 AM »

Thank you very much!

Cheers

The Fiend

• Archived User
Xbmp Ntsc-j Error
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 07:59:00 AM »

yea, ummmm,m too bad this doesn't work for a softmod because the code can't get loaded in the first place to run the disk. good job though in finding a fix for those chipers out there!

JayDee

• Archived User
Xbmp Ntsc-j Error
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 02:55:00 PM »

Its in the pinned, and have been there for well over 6 months...

RustAngel

• Archived User
Xbmp Ntsc-j Error
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005, 03:42:00 PM »

Its in the pinned, and have been there for well over 6 months...

QUOTE(RustAngel @ Jan 18 2005, 06:48 AM)
...and I haven't yet tried booting with the vid cable unplugged (suggested fix which apparently worked for others in this forum). I'll try all these options tonight.

The sticky made no mention of a looping Error 21 so my situation was (slightly) different...and I read a couple of other posts in this forum from ppl who were having similar issues to mine and weren't able to resolve them...I realise that what I posted is very similar to what's in the sticky but I thought I'd give a little more detail on the offchance that it was useful to someone, which (apparently judging by Fleck's post) it has been.

RustAngel

RustAngel

• Archived User
Xbmp Ntsc-j Error
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005, 03:45:00 PM »

QUOTE(The Fiend @ Jan 23 2005, 05:38 PM)
yea, ummmm,m too bad this doesn't work for a softmod because the code can't get loaded in the first place to run the disk. good job though in finding a fix for those chipers out there!

Yeah, this won't work for softmods unfortunately, I have no experience with them at all!  :P

RustAngel

The Fiend

• Archived User
Xbmp Ntsc-j Error
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2005, 03:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(RustAngel @ Jan 26 2005, 08:24 PM)
Yeah, this won't work for softmods unfortunately, I have no experience with them at all!  :P

RustAngel

As I said, you found a good fix for those chipers! lol... my other thread got closed when i tried to tell them about it not working on my softmod. but the disk will work on a softmod as long as you can set the settings in Avalaunch to "write -back" to the eeprom. I hope this helps in conjunction with RustAngel's guide.

total_ass

• Archived User
Xbmp Ntsc-j Error
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2005, 02:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(The Fiend @ Jan 28 2005, 12:08 AM)
As I said, you found a good fix for those chipers! lol... my other thread got closed when i tried to tell them about it not working on my softmod. but the disk will work on a softmod as long as you can set the settings in Avalaunch to "write -back" to the eeprom. I hope this helps in conjunction with RustAngel's guide.

Your thread did not get closed because you said that the disc didn't work on a softmod, it got closed because you did not appreciate the help that was given to you. And for the record, it does work on a softmod, regardless of whatever settings you put in avaluanch.

If you have a virtual eeprom active, then the change will be applied to that, if you do not, then the call to the kernel will not be interrupted and it will write directly to the eeprom. avaluanch bypasses the call to the kernel and writes directly to the eeprom, so i can see why you would think that it didn't work, but it did. this is the whole point of the virtual eeprom, to prevent eeprom misuse and misfunctional softmods <_<

Xekutr

• Archived User
Xbmp Ntsc-j Error
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2005, 01:17:00 PM »

This wont work for me, I am a Xenium ICE chip and it just keeps rebooting. So I cant use the disk, cant get into EVOX or anything. Anyone got any ideas? I am doing more research into these 2 alternatives:1. Get eeprom from a broken box (lifted traces, way too many to want to even think about fixing) or putting the chip in a working box, telling it to quick boot, and make evox or X2 my boot bios so I can run the disc. Any comments or experience with those methods would be greatly appreciated