xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Any Plans To Add Divx Compression To Dvd2xbox ?  (Read 74 times)

Jsmith

• Archived User
Any Plans To Add Divx Compression To Dvd2xbox ?
« on: October 25, 2003, 09:29:00 PM »

Hey folks,

I was wondering.  Does anyone know if there are any plans to add converting DVD movies to DivX when ripped from Dvd2Xbox?

That'd be sweet!  Like, if I could stick in a DVD movie, run Dvd2Xbox, it rips it, converts it to avi, and compresses it with DivX (but leaves AC3 audio).  Man, that'd be awesome.

Anyway....any plans for any of that?  Anyone know?

Jsmith

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2003, 09:55:00 PM »

Hehe....Haven't done it yet, so nope.

I've read the tutorials though, and there are just so many damn steps.  I wish there was just one simple tool that asks you from the beginning the options you want to set.  Then you just press OK and wait.

Why though?  How long does it take?  You're not gonna tell me "days", are you?

devlkore

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2003, 02:06:00 AM »

Encoding can take days.

Anyway, there is a program (for PC, not Xbox), called XMPEG and it has a very good and self explanetory wizard.

The only problem I have is selecting my codecs, anyone got any suggestions (codecs that will work with XBMP)?

ChrisF

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2003, 07:10:00 AM »

DivX 3.11 is the most compatible - you can check XBMP site to see which versions they support.  They seem to run a release or two behind with DivX5.  I haven't tried Xvid but I have seen some people having issues so I don't know if it's the codec or them.  Every 3.11 I've ever tried has been perfect.

There is a linked page in my singature for assistance.  This process takes quite a while on a computer (5-6 hours beginning to end including setup) - now try it with only 64MB of Ram.  Plus no one without at least 8GB free on a HD should even attempt a single movie.  Too much to port and I doubt the source code is there for each and every component needed in the process (lots).  Not worth it.

Rohaq

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2003, 10:42:00 AM »

It's quicker to download a DivX (over broadband, at least) than it is to encode it. Why not just download DivX's of movies you own, and save yourself the hassle? smile.gif

ChrisF

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2003, 11:54:00 AM »

QUOTE (Rohaq @ Oct 26 2003, 08:42 PM)
It's quicker to download a DivX (over broadband, at least) than it is to encode it. Why not just download DivX's of movies you own, and save yourself the hassle? smile.gif

Because the ones for download are often of poor image and audio quality in order to get the file <700MB to fit on a CD.  While this is fine for a 25" television you really notice the difference on a larger high quality monitor (i.e. a larger HDTV) when outputing at 480p and on better audio systems.  Even my lowest quality DivX are well over 700MB with longer and higher quality over 1.5GB.  That being said, only the most common film usually appear for download.

Rohaq

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2003, 01:34:00 PM »

QUOTE (ChrisF @ Oct 26 2003, 09:54 PM)
Because the ones for download are often of poor image and audio quality in order to get the file <700MB to fit on a CD.  While this is fine for a 25" television you really notice the difference on a larger high quality monitor (i.e. a larger HDTV) when outputing at 480p and on better audio systems.  Even my lowest quality DivX are well over 700MB with longer and higher quality over 1.5GB.  That being said, only the most common film usually appear for download.

If you've got a HDTV, I say fair enough. I only have a small portable, so DivX usually looks pretty good, especially with post processing.

As for your home movies, well, the chances of other people having them kind of depends on what kind of home movies you make wink.gif

82ross

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2003, 12:56:00 PM »

You can download movies 2 and 3 cd which include higher quality audio and visual.

As for encoding on the xbox, i highly doubt it. Its just not powerful enough. And programs which use a single program to rip dvds dont usually produce the best results. The best ripping on your PC includes about 4-5 programs. All efforts to bring ripping and encoding into a single program are never as good.

xbox_shima

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2003, 01:26:00 PM »

www.ircspy.com my hero! download anything you want off mirc!

sobri

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2003, 08:39:00 PM »

In these threads I always see people saying "don't use all in one apps. they make shit encodes" and the like. This simply isn't true these days.

I've been doing encodes on and off few a few years, and have used various different combinations of apps. Until recently I always went through methods described in tutorials at doom9.org. But recently I decided to try some of the all-in-ones that people mention (specifically vidomi and dr divx), and was really quite surprised. The two to look out for are Vidomi and Dr. DivX. Both produce very high quality output with the absolute minimum of fuss.

Oh, but having said that, I'd still like to see DVD2XBox being able to do divx or xvid encodes smile.gif

I see and understand the many reasons given as to why it's a bad idea, and I still think it would be worth doing. It wouldn't have to be overly complex. Infact it could be as simple as using a set bitrate (reasonably high), with no resize or crop, and keeping the original audio without compression. If you're going to be storing the rip on the XBox you don't have any issues of how many CDs it fits on to worry about anyway. You just want something that takes up less space than the whole DVD.

My guess is a normal length DVD might take somewhere like 8-9 hours to rip and encode on an XBox. That's about one night's sleep. So you could pop in the DVD, load DVD2XBox, press the RIP and encode button, and have an AVI on the hard drive in the morning. None of the excess fuss of the alternate which is ripping the DVD to the XBox, ftp'ing it to your computer, loading the encoding software, setting up all the various options, then ftping the AVI back when it's done.

I realise there'd be a considerable amount of work to do to get something like that built. But that (and absolute ease of use) are why I suggest making it not have any bitrate, crop, resize etc options. It'd reduce the coding complexity somewhat, whilst keeping the end user experience as clean and simple as possible, and still producing high quality output. It'd be the same as the audio CD to ogg option DVD2XBox has right now.

Just my 2c anyway. Flame away smile.gif

ChrisF

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2003, 10:31:00 AM »

I don't think that's something to flame over.  Your suggestion is likely the only workable solution.  I don't know what it would take to port or if any of those programs are open source.  It also ties up the xbox for a very significant period.  Personally, I like to decide my own quality/disc space tradeoffs based upon each movie.

Brouhaha

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2003, 01:16:00 PM »

QUOTE (ChrisF @ Oct 28 2003, 08:31 PM)
I don't know what it would take to port or if any of those programs are open source.

FairUse Wizard's project page on Sourceforge smile.gif

Only work left is implementing internal ac3 decoding and mp3 encoding which shouldn't be that hard, though not that easy  biggrin.gif  Not forgetting a D3D UI...

Jsmith

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2003, 04:27:00 PM »

Wow....that's awesome.  It was written in VC++ and we've got all the source code.  It shouldn't be a bad port at all.  I'm a programmer...I just wish I had the time to do it.  It's my last semester of graduate school though (MS in CSI), and I just don't have the time to learn the differences in programming for the Xbox right now.  Maybe come January.

Then again, writing a program which implements DeCss is probably not the smartest thing to do.  If the author of DVD2Xbox releases modules of his code in dll form, that may be a way around it though.

Brouhaha

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2003, 07:36:00 AM »

biggrin.gif );
-DivX 3.11 low-motion/fast-motion dll interfacing for encoding.

What's needed that FairUse doesn't do internally (uses 3rd party apps for the most)

-AC3-2-PCM decoding (uses besweet, but isn't that process available in XBMP sources?);
-MP3 encoding (lame_enc.dll anyone?);
-xvid.dll interfacing so we can strip down the process to a 1-pass/2-pass job, 10 encodes for divx is SLOW!!!
-Muxing (dunno if its done externally or not).
-Possibly add denoising filters (tons of avisynth/vdub filters are open-source)

Also, "FairUse-X" just sounds so good wink.gif