xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Xbox Media Center, The New (ad)venture  (Read 193 times)

falser

• Archived User
Xbox Media Center, The New (ad)venture
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2003, 12:44:00 PM »

QUOTE (heinrich @ Oct 1 2003, 09:12 PM)
QUOTE (Booger Bob @ Oct 1 2003, 03:02 PM)
Why not incorperate all these new idea into XBMP?

Please pay attention - because they are rewritting it from 'scratch'.  Its not xbmp, so why would they call it that?

Considering that it does the same thing as XBMP (play movies and music) and is based on the same ideas I don't see the benefit in changing the name.  This is a "code fork" - not a new product.  End users don't care what the underlying code looks like, as long as it works and looks nice.

LEDHaywire

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2003, 12:53:00 PM »

I really like the new setup of XBMC, now i dont have to hassle around with the config files to assign the appropriate drives for my media. DiVX movies look much better for some reason, and play better too.

Please include support for us DVD movie playback kit owners pleeease!

fizgig10

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2003, 01:05:00 PM »

Are we really going to bicker about the name of the new media player?  Damn, they could call it "Shit and Shynola" for all I care as long as it's getting better.

You want to keep the name "XBMP" and add new features to it?  Then go ahead and check out the source code and do it yourself.  What?  You don't know how?  Then shut up and let the nice people (working for free) keep going in the direction they think makes the most sense given their depth of knowledge of the subject is quite a bit more than yours.

I mean come on!!!!

SniperKilla

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2003, 01:21:00 PM »

heh the screen is like 200x the size of my tv :/

muerte

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2003, 01:58:00 PM »

why would anybody not switch over to XBMC?

orangerhino

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2003, 01:59:00 PM »

I personally think that Xbox Media Center sounds better than Player. I guess cause it sounds like u get more with it. Are they taking requests at all. Cause I would really like to see the ability to open the menu of a dvd that's been ripped to the hdd so there's full dvd options. I hate having to load the .VOB files.

buckwilliamsca

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2003, 02:57:00 PM »

I presume it was because of a problem which is quite common in software. Xbmp probably wasn't designed initially to encompass the vast number of features and capabilities that it has today. Without a complete re-write from the ground up it eventually becomes more and more difficult to implement new features and keep it bug free. They now have the benefit of hindsight and can avoid any problems which cropped up in xbmp.

Plus there is the implementation of new core features which wouldn't be possible in xbmp without some major re-writes anyway. Now they can start with a clean slate knowing pretty much exactly where they want to go and how they are going to get there. This should eventually result in a much faster, less resource hungry and more stable app with far fewer bugs. It also makes it easier for the devs to maintain, which is good for us since it means bugs get fixed much faster   

I think this quote said it best, and i think its true. (taken from the xbox media center forums)

rob1309

• Recovered User
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2003, 03:10:00 PM »

QUOTE (SniperKilla @ Oct 1 2003, 04:21 PM)
heh the screen is like 200x the size of my tv :/

yea same here and it kinda annoying lol
the calibration thing is not working correctly, least not the resizing part of it...
it's decent though, i only worry that having 2 projects will slow down progress and make me choose either/or instead of 1 huge cool app
if they use all the cool features and stuff in xbmc, ill get rid of xbmp completely
well maybe not all the way but not use it
its just when i try to seek via remote or control, it doesn't work
i hope it gets to current xbmp state rather quickly

fizgig10

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2003, 03:24:00 PM »

QUOTE (Booger Bob @ Oct 1 2003, 02:02 PM)
Some of yall get real anal about questions.  Im not bitching about a new media player i just was wondering the reasoning behind making a whole new program, seems like its alot of work. It makes more since now that i know they are completley changing the code.
As ive said before, too many assholes on XS.

In case you thought I was talking to you Booger Bob, I wasn't.

XanTium

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2003, 05:35:00 PM »

wink.gif

They probably learned alot while coding on XBMP ... that's why they probably decided to remake everything from start. To make it faster more efficient and with cleaner code.

Obvious that XBMP 2.6 wouldn't have been a good name for that.
They *might* have called in XBMP3.0 ... but XBMC is a better name for all what it does and it allows to easily continue to support/develop both releases (for a while).

The most popular xbox homebrew project just gets better smile.gif

PuddWakkr

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2003, 06:04:00 PM »

smile.gif  Once you get an actual ff/rw then I'll be a XBMC user for sure.

ChrisF

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2003, 08:42:00 PM »

Sometimes the best way to make major improvements is to start again from scratch and rebuild it clean (think about wiping your PC harddrive and doing a full reinstall - gets all the accumulated crap out that isn't in use).

I'm pumped.

k_away

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2003, 12:30:00 AM »

simple question:

when XBMC can do EVERYTHING the current XBMP can do, you guys will shut down the XBMP development right?

so XBMC = the future ?

spyd4r

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2003, 02:43:00 AM »

i like the look and feel and the screen resize feature..only ything is, i can only move the position of the screen, not the actual size of it..oh well...

great work so far

Gamester17

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2003, 04:21:00 AM »

QUOTE (buckwilliamsca @ Oct 1 2003, 10:57 PM)
I presume it was because of a problem which is quite common in software. Xbmp probably wasn't designed initially to encompass the vast number of features and capabilities that it has today. Without a complete re-write from the ground up it eventually becomes more and more difficult to implement new features and keep it bug free. They now have the benefit of hindsight and can avoid any problems which cropped up in xbmp.

Plus there is the implementation of new core features which wouldn't be possible in xbmp without some major re-writes anyway. Now they can start with a clean slate knowing pretty much exactly where they want to go and how they are going to get there. This should eventually result in a much faster, less resource hungry and more stable app with far fewer bugs. It also makes it easier for the devs to maintain, which is good for us since it means bugs get fixed much fasterĀ  

I think this quote said it best, and i think its true. (taken from the xbox media center forums)

I could not have said it better myself.

PS! Remember that XBMC is not yet up to par with XBMP feature wise, so most will not just switch over.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4