xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Xbox Media Center, The New (ad)venture  (Read 194 times)

Gamester17

• Archived User
Xbox Media Center, The New (ad)venture
« on: October 01, 2003, 01:31:00 AM »

XboxMediaCenter (XBMC) is a new free open source (GPL) multimedia player for MS's Xbox. XboxMediaCenter is still in beta stage but can currently be used to play and view most video/audio/picture formats such as MPEG/MPG, VOB, AVI, OGM, DivX, XVID, MP3, OGG, JPG, GIF and many more direct from a CD/DVD in the DVD-ROM or of the Xbox build-in hard disk drive, it can also play files over a network (LAN) from a PC via an "XStream Server" application or from a Windows (SMB) share. It has playlist + slideshow functions and ability to funcion as a full replacement Xbox dashboard. These and more features enables the Xbox running XboxMediaCenter to fully function as a multi-media jukebox. XboxMediaCenter also known as "Xbox Media Center" or simply "XBMC".

This project is what the active official Xbox Media Player developers has been working on in secret for the last 4-6 months. This does not mean the Xbox Media Player is dead, official and unofficial developers will still be adding new code and maintain it but the lead developers will be focusing on XBMC. Remember that XBMC and XBMP are hobby projects and are only developed by volunteers in their spare-time for free.

New and big differences compared to XboxMediaPlayer:
- Entire new fully skinnable GUI engine
- Easy switching between skins (if exist)
- Dynamic loader for multiple cores/engines
- Music database with search feature
- Sort files/folders by name, size or date
- File Manager for DVD-ROM/HDD/Network
- Virtual Keyboard
- CDDB and album cover/info lookup
- Movie calibration per resolution
- UI calibration

Things that are not supported in XBMC yet:
- DVD-movie playback
- Audio Visualization
- Matroska file container
- Windows DLL's (WMV/WMA 9)
- FTP-Server
- SHOUTcast
- TV-Guide

Note! Normal retail Xbox's require a modchip with hacked a BIOS for XboxMediaCenter to run.

Official website: www.xboxmediacenter.com
Official Mirror: www.xboxmediacenter.de
Offical XBMC Forums: XBMC Forums
SourceForge Project Site: XBMC

MrSelfDestruct

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2003, 05:09:00 AM »

Well....I have been a long time user of XBMP, and I would swear by it, but this sounds like it has tons of cool features. I cant wait to test it out

MrSelfDestruct

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2003, 05:17:00 AM »

Anyone know if this has been released yet? I cant find it in the usual places.

Edit: Nevermind, I dont think they have released it yet. It doesnt look like they have, judging from the content on their website. Man....I cant wait for this

Gamester17

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2003, 05:36:00 AM »

Remember that XBMC is only beta and do not have many of XBMP's cool features!
But you can have both installed on the same Xbox without them conflicting  cool.gif

SniperKilla

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2003, 05:45:00 AM »

the CVS files are there, so you can grab it and build it... someones doing it in #xbmp now....

there just hasent been a point release yet

JayDee

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2003, 06:00:00 AM »

Again, for those who missed it.

Gamester17 is the project manager for xbmp/xbmc

manekineko

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2003, 07:51:00 AM »

QUOTE (gimpsta @ Oct 1 2003, 03:06 PM)
I'm all for supporting new applications in the homebrew scene, but doesn't this seem kinda silly?  To me it sounds like XBMC is a glorified XBMP.  Why don't they just incorporate these features into a new release of XBMP?  Therefore, allowing more time and focus on one single application.   Maybe I’m totally missing the point of this, hopefully I am proven wrong and we see two very great applications come out of this.

It appears that XBMC is a total code rewrite of XBMP, with lessons learned from the first time around applied here.

They've added a couple notable changes that would be core changes to XBMP, making it easier/better for them to do a rewrite than just to add on to the old code.  For example, I haven't seen the skinning system yet, but it sounds a lot more flexible than the old one, maybe a la Winamp 2 vs. 3.  Similarly, the dynamic loader for engines and cores sounds like a plugin system to me, though I'm not sure about that.

It really seems like this is XBMP 3.0b, if I wonder anything, it's just why they didn't call it XBMP 3.

pyskoyly

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2003, 08:11:00 AM »

i can't wait to try this... and look at the code... i've been interested in the development of the xbmp for... tooo bad i'm at school right now... well gotta run...

falser

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2003, 08:44:00 AM »

I'm still going to call it Xbox Media Player from my dashboard smile.gif

heinrich

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2003, 09:17:00 AM »

QUOTE (KiLaHuRtZ @ Oct 1 2003, 01:06 PM)
Why?
Why not work on XBMP and release a 2.5?
Why start a new project, personally you should stick with one app and make it better.

XBMP, to the best of my knowledge, is really just a combination of the early xbmp, and yamp.  This seems to be a re-do of the project, where the devs can take what they learned, and make a better program all together.

BTW, a cvs build is up in the xbins xbmp ftp's.

MrSelfDestruct

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2003, 10:27:00 AM »

QUOTE (heinrich @ Oct 1 2003, 06:17 PM)
BTW, a cvs build is up in the xbins xbmp ftp's.

Call me a newb......but what exactly is a CVS build? My impression, is that it is an "incomplete" version, that the user  must complete them selves. Is my assumption correct? Can I DL it and use it, or do I need knowledge on programming and such in order to make a "CVS build" work?

falz

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2003, 10:51:00 AM »

QUOTE (MrSelfDestruct @ Oct 1 2003, 01:27 PM)
Call me a newb......but what exactly is a CVS build? My impression, is that it is an "incomplete" version, that the user  must complete them selves. Is my assumption correct? Can I DL it and use it, or do I need knowledge on programming and such in order to make a "CVS build" work?

No. A CVS build works perfectly, it just isn't something that's "official" from the XBMP/XBMC team. Each CVS build is fully working from the archive, just like any xbox homebrew app. It simply fills in the gaps between "official" releases.

--falz

john316

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2003, 11:33:00 AM »

wink.gif

jp110099

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2003, 11:42:00 AM »

well for one, i think this is a great idea!! Keep up the good work, gonna test it out real soon.

heinrich

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2003, 12:12:00 PM »

QUOTE (Booger Bob @ Oct 1 2003, 03:02 PM)
Why not incorperate all these new idea into XBMP?

Please pay attention - because they are rewritting it from 'scratch'.  Its not xbmp, so why would they call it that?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4