xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Problems With Large # Of Mp3 Files  (Read 106 times)

brainstane

• Archived User
Problems With Large # Of Mp3 Files
« on: August 26, 2003, 06:07:00 PM »

Does the same thing happen in relax?

lupo

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2003, 06:17:00 AM »

No I have not tried relax yet - I'll try it tonight. thanx for the suggestion

hydro311

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2003, 08:50:00 PM »

I have a similar problem that I have been unable to explain.  I have tried the 2.4 release and several cvs builds and the following problem happens to me:

1. Turn on Xbox
2. Load xbmp
3. Select either (A) relax share for videos on my windows machine or (cool.gif  ccxstream for my mp3's on my FreeBSD box.
4. Xbox freezes up
5. Power cycle xbox
6. repeat steps 2 and 3 and this time it works fine.

It seems to only happen the 1st time I turn my Xbox on for that evening and then after that everything works fine.

I have 20gigs of video files on the video share and about 60 gigs of mp3 on the audio share.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Flappis

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2003, 07:23:00 AM »

QUOTE (hydro311 @ Sep 23 2003, 05:50 AM)
I have a similar problem that I have been unable to explain.  I have tried the 2.4 release and several cvs builds and the following problem happens to me:

1. Turn on Xbox
2. Load xbmp
3. Select either (A) relax share for videos on my windows machine or (cool.gif  ccxstream for my mp3's on my FreeBSD box.
4. Xbox freezes up
5. Power cycle xbox
6. repeat steps 2 and 3 and this time it works fine.

It seems to only happen the 1st time I turn my Xbox on for that evening and then after that everything works fine.

I have 20gigs of video files on the video share and about 60 gigs of mp3 on the audio share.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

I have exactly the same problem.

Couple of times relax share has worked on first try, but usually Xbox freezes and second try is succesful.

This is the biggest problem i have had with xbmp and it's really annoying.

Maybe someone can help us.

deflux

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2003, 02:18:00 PM »

i think i'm having the same problem as you guys
trying to load a large # of files over the network it freezes, sometimes it will eventually go through, but one other problem i have with the new cvs builds is that videos freeze a lot

maximusg

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2003, 02:42:00 PM »

Yes i had this problem with directories that had large numbers of mp3s. The xbox will eventually process them but it might take a few minutes... i got around this by alphabatising my mp3 so there was no more then 20 or so folders/files in the one directory... EG. One directiory with the A B C D E F G ... folders etc. then inside each of those a directory for the artist and then the album and then the music... it took me a week end to organise them... but it was worth it.

netscan

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2003, 06:18:00 PM »

Yeah, does the same thing for me, but once i sort the directories on my PC, works fine. Weird.

hydro311

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2003, 07:16:00 PM »

Hrm...I am going to try and reorganize my collection.  Thanks for all the feedback.

MorfiusX

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2003, 08:07:00 PM »

I have 100+ full CD rips on my Xbox HD. It's listed in XBMP as "MP3". When you add the entire share to a playlist, it takes 5-10 minutes before it plays. Relevance: the Xbox is "catching up". Basically, if you make your lists smaller (by organizing to subdirectories) then the processing this this will be quicker.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2003, 04:46:00 AM »

yeah I had the same problem.... you know how I solved it..... I wait

yeah I have one folder with over 100 mp3s when I select the folder I literally have to sit and wait about 3 whole minutes

I'm using samba sharing and even the smaller directories are slow but how slow is dependent the # of files in the folder...

if you've got 4000 pull up a chair you're gonna be waiting a while

MorrisMcD

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2003, 08:26:00 PM »

I am not able to get to any shares... I am sure I have the share names right and I have them in the config file in the specified format <url>smb://myusername:[email protected]/servernameorip/sharename</url>

Could I be doing something wrong?  I am trying to connect to a Windows 2000 Server.  It is an AD domain.  I tried the netbios name of the domain rather than the full dns name of it.  I do have my DNS server specified in the config file as well...

Am I missing something?

Also... I FTP'd a video file to the xbox and when I go to play it (yes, I can see THAT) it blacks out for about half a second and goes back to the menu.  Why wouldnt it play this?

Thanks in advance

Master Bates

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2003, 07:12:00 AM »

Sollution for long wait for XBMP to read mp3 directory:

1.  Use RelaX over SMB, it is faster

2.  Turn off read id tags (go to settings from the main xbmp screen)

These two things will GREATLY reduce load time

ChrisF

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2003, 10:30:00 AM »

QUOTE (Master Bates @ Sep 29 2003, 04:12 PM)
Sollution for long wait for XBMP to read mp3 directory:

1.  Use RelaX over SMB, it is faster

2.  Turn off read id tags (go to settings from the main xbmp screen)

These two things will GREATLY reduce load time

I use Relax and my main MP3 directory has over 400 folders and 3200 uncategorized MP3 (just sitting there below the folders).  It does take about 10 seconds to load over my wired network but it will load fine (another 5-8 secs anytime I go back through the heirarchy from a subfolder to the main directory).

As stated above:

1) Relax works well with this
2) No ID tags - it will take forever I changed the settings just for this purpose
3) Organize the folders in Relax - take your most played sub-folders and put them in the initial directory at the top.  Take the main folder wither everything in it and name it something like *All Files.  This will appear at the top and you'll only have to go into it if you are playing something that isn't in the directly shared folders.  I have around 50 folders of my favorites and then the *All Files at the top.

deflux

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2003, 02:09:00 PM »

does anyone have any problems with media player freezing when using samba shares??

MorrisMcD

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2003, 02:28:00 PM »

I finally got it to see the shares but when I choose a share, something bad happens.  All I do know is that I can no longer ping it starting at the moment of choosing a share.  From there I have to reboot, so I guess I may be having the same issue as you.

This is SMB as well that I am using
Pages: [1] 2