xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Xbmp's Dvd Uncrypted Extraction  (Read 106 times)

ZWinFlame

• Archived User
Xbmp's Dvd Uncrypted Extraction
« on: June 14, 2003, 12:20:00 PM »

To the dev's of media player !

Are they any plans currently which are being worked on for developing DVD extraction for encrypted movies. Currently I guess all of us use some kind of software from a PC like CladDVD XP or Smartripper ...etc.

It would be very nice If we could have such an extraction inside an XBOX itself. Have been waiting for this feature for quiet a while. Always look for this update in the CVS's but have not seen anything gearing towards this.

The player by itself is a great breakthrough, especially in playing decrypted VOB's

An excellent piece of app.

dvd encryption extraction !

mingwingming

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2003, 02:01:00 PM »

That would be nice, but is that not a slow process on a PC so on a xbox surely it would take forever ?  I voted 75%      If anything I would love the ability for it to convert .vobs to divx  but i guess that really is taking the piss...    smile.gif

My Main XBMP Wants below...
1. Audio cds to mp3 or wma
2. file manager
3. Also Thumbnails for games is a big big pain in the arse, they are too small IMHO aswell as taking along time to load should you flatten the hierachy,  I wish someone would do a patch so it finds the game icons as MXM and Avalanch does.

XBMP Is my Number 1 Dash.. Luv it..  Just hope they can do something about thumbnails so that my freinds who are gamers!! can enjoy it more...

Jse

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2003, 05:00:00 PM »

seen as deCSS is now illegal and so is its source i dont see it been implemented any time soon

ZWinFlame

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2003, 08:04:00 PM »

deCSS is not illegal in so many countries. Its implementation would be a great benefit for us. Here I’m not asking for compressing VOB’s to DivX (This would be great too but is far fetched). Its just the fact of raw unencrypted extraction.

Any news by the dev’s on its progress. I had read somewhere (on another forum) that they are working on it, but haven’t heard in a while.

Anyways, thanks guys for your views on this.. !

Jse

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2003, 03:43:00 AM »

xbmp is legal idiot

they dont release compiled binarys only source code

if they were to implement deCSS it would mean letting every counry have it cept america which would never happen so it wont be implemented

ZWinFlame

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2003, 08:24:00 AM »

jse,

Please refrain from using foul language here. It can be a debate if xbmp is legal or not, however currently running any unsigned code on xbox is considered Illegal by M$. Therefore the whole point of publishing source codes does not entirely make the product legal.

I personally really appreciate the efforts of the dev's to create such a robust product. Just wish they could go a step further to get the decryption part completed..

Jse

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2003, 01:35:00 PM »

its illigal if its compiled but seen as they only release the source its legal

Hollowpoint

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2003, 10:41:00 AM »

But that source code once compiled can only be used on one thing a moded Xbox.  Which would mean that the initial intent of the source code was designed to willfully break the DMCA.

If I had all the part in my basement to build a bomb, but never built it... Am I breaking the law.  But I distribute all those part to you and you build the bomb and use it to kill would make me just as responsible as you.  

Am I defending M$ here? No.  I break the DMCA everytime I turn on my Xbox.   And So do you...

X-ace

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2003, 08:36:00 AM »

QUOTE (Hollowpoint @ Jun 17 2003, 06:41 PM)
But that source code once compiled can only be used on one thing a moded Xbox.  Which would mean that the initial intent of the source code was designed to willfully break the DMCA.

If I had all the part in my basement to build a bomb, but never built it... Am I breaking the law.  But I distribute all those part to you and you build the bomb and use it to kill would make me just as responsible as you.  

Am I defending M$ here? No.  I break the DMCA everytime I turn on my Xbox.   And So do you...

Without getting into lengthy legal debates, I doubt that producing the source code for xbmp could be proven to be illegal. It is a decent argument that the same people who do have it running on their xbox. That would be illegal.

However the producing of source code shifts the legal responsibility to those who compile, those who upload the xbe, and those who download. Which is probably fair. The xbmp team should not bear the brunt of all the users' benefit.

Regardless. If the deCSS is now illegal, putting it in the source code, would not a wise move for legal reason.

As a sidenote; the guy who is credited with deCSS, won his day in court earlier this year, based on the argument that you are allowed to make personal copies for yourself. This is not a valid legal argument in all countries (read: US after the millenium act) but the deCSS hacker was based in Norway.

Second sidenote; certain countries have started following the US on this issue, outlawing Kazaa and the making of personal copies.

Jse

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2003, 05:14:00 PM »

As a sidenote; the guy who is credited with deCSS, won his day in court earlier this year, based on the argument that you are allowed to make personal copies for yourself. This is not a valid legal argument in all countries (read: US after the millenium act) but the deCSS hacker was based in Norway.

yes its true jon johannson who coded deCSS got off under norwigan laws but 2600 who hosted the source got their ass sued off under us law

poor emmanule goldstien http://2600.com

erexx

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2003, 05:53:00 PM »

just do it yourself.... smart ripper works great.

X-ace

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2003, 08:03:00 PM »

QUOTE (jse @ Jun 21 2003, 01:14 AM)

yes its true jon johannson who coded deCSS got off under norwigan laws but 2600 who hosted the source got their ass sued off under us law

poor emmanule goldstien http://2600.com

my point exactly.

vietzta

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2003, 12:28:00 AM »

lets do this thang baby

desertboy

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2003, 06:41:00 AM »

Yeah but XBMP is open source so it matters not if it's legal or not in your country all that matters is the people who add the code release it.

It doesn't have to be implemented by the XBMP team and I doubt they would but they're are plenty of capable coders out their who might.

Depending where XBMP is hosted (Germany is it?) would depend on whether they could offer the function with the source they offer.

Why should the rest of the world suffer just because some american's want to infringe on our freedoms.

erexx

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2003, 06:55:00 AM »

cool.gif
Pages: [1] 2