xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Newbie Repair Question  (Read 89 times)

jshorr

• Archived User
Newbie Repair Question
« on: August 09, 2004, 11:51:00 AM »

A co-worker's xbox boots up and goes through the initial sequence with the startup video but just hangs there.  Got to be a dead hard drive, right?  This is an unmodified xbox.  Thanks.

jaroc

• Archived User
Newbie Repair Question
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 12:00:00 PM »

Don't know, but try an xbox to xbox harddisk hotswap to format all the drives then put all the files from the other xbox back onto the broken one. The xbox's harddrive unlocks when the MS logo appears under the Xbox logo.

pink_panther

• Archived User
Newbie Repair Question
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 12:04:00 PM »

well if goes all the way through that boot, it is not dead. last night it happened to me and even though your friends is unmodified, try and make sure the jumper (white or black plug in back of hdd) is all the way in the first slot.

A@ron

• Archived User
Newbie Repair Question
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 12:36:00 PM »

yes it is a dead/damaged/unplugged HDD. It plays the flubber into which is stored into the BIOS so there is no bios related issues. There also is a slim chance it is the DVD drive but those are far less common, so my money would be on the HDD

jshorr

• Archived User
Newbie Repair Question
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 02:20:00 PM »

QUOTE (A@ron @ Aug 9 2004, 07:36 PM)
yes it is a dead/damaged/unplugged HDD. It plays the flubber into which is stored into the BIOS so there is no bios related issues. There also is a slim chance it is the DVD drive but those are far less common, so my money would be on the HDD

Thanks.  I was thinking it was probably this.  He said he can hear the HD at least try go on...so it's probably crashed rather than unplugged.  I'll try swapping it out for him.