xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Svcd Player Still Buggy Even With All The Updates  (Read 66 times)

kaylapuppy

• Archived User
Svcd Player Still Buggy Even With All The Updates
« on: February 08, 2003, 08:02:00 PM »

I have noticed the same thing. XBMP does not seem to be able to accurately read the length of a SVCD movie, and it therefor does not keep an accurate total of the running time.  I put in a SVCD that was 1:07 long. XBMP said it was only 32 Minutes long. It kept playing past 32 minutes right up to 37 minutes, then it crashed. But when I checked the same spot where it crashed out with PowerDVD, it was actually more like 53 minutes. And this is even with the 02-08 version.

They've made some great progress in the last few releases. Viewing pictures is now much better, for me anyways. With releases coming out once a day, just imagine how many bugs will be fixed by next week, next month . Then again, how many new ones will pop up. It seems for every 2 steps forward they take, they also take 1 step back, but we can't complain right, it's free.

Regards,
KP

anarkan

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2003, 12:06:00 AM »

After trying the latest 02-08 built I was able to confirm that the XBMP is NOT capable to accurately judge the duration of the SVCD and that is why it can crash at random when it is pass the 30 minute marker.  

Using the New 02-08 buit The total Duration of the SVCD is MISCALCULATED and INCORRECT.   I had a SVCD with the duration of over 55 minutes when it XBMP SVCD Player recognosed the content to be about 31:08 and it played only up to 47 minute before it crashed back to the main menu.

Seems like the XBMP  catagorically thinks every SVCD is on or about 30-35 min and treat it as such irrespective of the accurate playback time of the disk.

The Playback time is way off, thus playback errors specially the crashes happen, by majority in appx. the last 20-25% of the SVCD content.

johnmiceter

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2003, 12:26:00 AM »

My SVCD movies play perfect Anarkan, but I just copy my movies to my Xbox HD and play them from there. I 'm trying to use RELAX, but still can't configure it properly yet, and it's not working.

I haven't put any codecs in it or anything, just using the standard mp 2.2 I downloaded and works straight away with SVCD's. Still haven't tried AVI's or anything else yet.

anarkan

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2003, 12:39:00 AM »

Sorry I should have made my point a bit clearer, I should have mentioned that playing SVCDs directly from the XBOX's DVD-ROM with out any caching is what I was refering to.

I have no doubt that that infact the playback from the XBOX HDD is fine or caching in this situation might also cure the problem for the moment.  

But for now the direct playback of the SVCDs from the DVD-ROm of the XBOX is definately Buggy.

Hopefully this issue would be addressed in the future updates.

anarkan

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2003, 03:54:00 AM »

I have tried the option of caching the files for correct playback, sadly the problem remains and it is idependant of caching or not.

So I suppose for now the SVCD playback from the DVD-ROM either Cached or not is OUT,  unless you want to watch a program that ends prematurely.  sad.gif

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2003, 08:43:00 AM »

Well, until they FIX the damn Playlist bug, it's just not playable ANYWAY.

XBMP needs to:

1) Stop squeezing the image down to a postage stamp between items in the playlist

and

2) Automatically create the playlist based onthe disc inserted (ID it as an ISO9660 and SVCD, for example, and add all the MPEG files to the playlist, and begin playing)

Until that happens, users will continue to have touse the ugly, narsty, PAINFUL controls just to get playback going.

XBMP could be so much more if they could FIX the interface. Technical issues like the one this thread is about should be fixed, and the UI issues tackled IMMEDIATELY.

Troll123

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2003, 03:49:00 PM »

BenJeremy why don't you get off your ass and start coding? These guys are doing this for free remember that? Seriously beggers like you should just STFU.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2003, 04:23:00 PM »

QUOTE (Troll123 @ Feb 9 2003, 07:49 PM)
BenJeremy why don't you get off your ass and start coding? These guys are doing this for free remember that? Seriously beggers like you should just STFU.

Egads, you ARE a troll, eh?

If you don't know my contributions to the Xbox scene, I suggest you turn to page 95 of the Feb-March 2003 XBN (Xbox Nation) magazine and look at the screen shot of X-Marbles on the page.

You might also have seen Media X Menu, used to launch games from DVD and hard drives all over the world.

I certainly DO have a right to talk the talk.

So to you, I say:

user posted image

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2003, 06:09:00 PM »

QUOTE (Troll123 @ Feb 9 2003, 09:44 PM)
And what have you contributed to XBMP then? Sorry but what have you done for me lately? If you are that talented then contribute to this OPEN SOURCE project instead of bitching about what *YOU* want.

And you are?

You are one of the XBMP developers?

I thought not.

I'm busy enough on MXM; besides, there are plenty of "cooks in the kitchen" as it is.

They should put less energy into turning XBMP into a dashboard and more into making the UI a bit more 'natural' - that's my opinion and I'm free to express it, as is everybody here. While I am more qualified than others in making such pronouncements, I wouldn't take it upon myself to tell others to "stuff their suggestions" - your post amounted to nothing but pure bullshit, as you aren't a developer and aren't doing anything constructive.

(If you ARE an XBMP developer, then I'd suggest you follow my lead and pay a bit more attention to your users)

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2003, 03:59:00 AM »

QUOTE (Troll123 @ Feb 10 2003, 05:53 AM)
I'm not a developer, I've dedicated my time to helping them support their users (as you can see from their homepage) I've compiled all the feature requests and bugs and present those to the devs in a priority format. Right now the UI developer was on a break so no major UI changes were being made. Hes back now. So to answer your question, I've not only donated $ to this project, I've donated my time.

So you support users by telling them to "shut the fuck up"

Well, I can see how that's useful.  blink.gif

I'm glad to hear the UI guy is back on the job. I can certainly understand how developers have to take breaks - working on one piece of code can get very stressful. I don't think anybody will disagree that the UI needs work (it's one of the toughest things on the Xbox to get 'right' thanks to a lack of standard framework classes.

I make suggestions as a user, because I look at XBMP from a usability standpoint. It should work as simply as a standalone DVD player,  and at the moment, it is literally PAINFUL to get a VCD/SVCD working:

1) Put disc in Xbox
2) Navigate to DVD (ISO9660)
3) Load MPEG file(s) into playlist
4) Between sections, Hit "X" twice to return to full screen mode

Also, between sections (I have several VCDs that are multi-part), you must re-adjust the volume, since the volume control always goes to full blast between items in the playlist.

These are not small things... I don't expect them fixed "IMMEDIATELY" - nor am I making DEMANDS. I am merely saying that for me, it makes XBMP unusable from a practical standpoint. I have a standalone DVD player that handles the task just fine right now. It will be nice when XBMP handles it just as smoothly, and no reason why it can't do the job better than any any player out there.

I commend the developers for getting the media playback working as well as they have. All the pieces are there. That's part of what makes it a bit frustrating to still see the major UI issues unresolved (and I think a LOT of users agree with the issues I talk about)

Remember: I'm not harping, complaining, bitching. I'm being constructive. I've not used derogatory terms for XBMP. I think it's an excellent start. I just don't think it's a polished product.  wink.gif

Troll123

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2003, 06:40:00 AM »

anarkan;
No harm done, BenJeremy has this me me me attitude in his posts and its rather insulting thats all.

Troll123

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2003, 06:43:00 AM »

BenJeremy;
That last post was much better, your first post just had an arrogance about it. And I have never (except this time) told users to STFU, I just don't like seeing the me me me demands. Seriously if you are talented enough to work on those other apps, I'm sure the XBMP devs would love to have your help on this project. You clearly have ideas on what XBMP could be with some fixes etc, if you get a chance, glance at the source (www.sourceforge.net/projects/xbplayer) and see what you can fix up.
Post the source diffs here:
http://sourceforge.n...793&atid=508680
Also this will enter you in the contest for an X2PRO which you may or may not care about.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2003, 07:20:00 AM »

QUOTE (Troll123 @ Feb 10 2003, 10:43 AM)
BenJeremy;
That last post was much better, your first post just had an arrogance about it. And I have never (except this time) told users to STFU, I just don't like seeing the me me me demands. Seriously if you are talented enough to work on those other apps, I'm sure the XBMP devs would love to have your help on this project. You clearly have ideas on what XBMP could be with some fixes etc, if you get a chance, glance at the source (www.sourceforge.net/projects/xbplayer) and see what you can fix up.
Post the source diffs here:
http://sourceforge.n...793&atid=508680
Also this will enter you in the contest for an X2PRO which you may or may not care about.

I actually have the CVS client and am set up with the project on my system.

MXM takes up a LOT of my personal time as it is, but I had started looking into Mode 2 support, just before it came about (in fact, I had mentioned this as a possibility when ISO9660 Mode 1 support appeared, though somebody from XBMP had commented on the lack of support).

It's not "me me me" - I have little time to watch movies or play visualizations. I suppose they don't care to hear what many users have been asking for since day one? I know audio visualizations  are probably one of the most request features. I am simply responding to suggest that, now that the majority of the techical issues have been resolved, that they might want to pay a bit of attention to the UI, which NEEDS WORK.

neXgen, for example, has a nice interface, but lacks polish in the functional areas.

MXM is functional, but still needs more skinning options to give some users everything they need to fully customize it. I'm working on that, and I invite suggestions (even if I do not impliment a particular suggestion, I try and respond with an explanation of my reasoning).

What is wrong with pointing out the weak points? Without feedback, how do the developers know what direction to head? There is a lot to be done with XBMP, both in the UI and behind the scenes. I think they'd be best served by concentrating on making XBMP a 'perfect' media player, before adding dashboard features, for example. Obviously, others see it differently. It's my opinion... I guess I just think XBMP would be more useful in the short term as the MASTER of one craft, rather than mediocre jack of all trades.

I persist in this dialog because you act as the conduit to the team through this forum. Copping an attitude toward me gains NOTHING. Telling me to "STFU" gains NOTHING. I offer my honest opinion, and I'd offer my effort if my plate wasn't already full and if I thought there weren't already too many people working on XBMP. As it is, it seems like one person gets something working, then the next build, it's broken by something somebody else checked in.... classic symptom of many major projects (I speak from two decades of working as a programmer/software engineer) written as a collaberative effort.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2003, 08:08:00 AM »

QUOTE (Troll123 @ Feb 10 2003, 11:42 AM)
Reguarding Visualizations, the problem is there are almost NO opensource VIZ routines. In my search I found ONE. Thats it ONE which was open source and I've already given it to Duo.. Believe me Visualization would be in there now if there were more opensource ones that were windows based. Right now we are all in bug hunting mode to release a very (the most so far) stable release. As you know as a programmer, once you start introducing a feature, things start to break and more bugs to hunt. I and they appreciate your feedback and ideas and I've already brought most of yours to them (since I myself have the same issues w/ the UI). My major complaint with you was how you posted your initial email. Maybe I took it wrong and if thats the case I apologize.

I think it boils down to a misunderstanding. Let's just put that in the past. wink.gif I apologize if I came across in the wrong manner.

As for visualizations, I am working on some visualization 'gadgets' for MXM.... a different interface, more suited to D3D/Xbox rendering. A rough prototype is my Matrix Effect object in my working version of MXM; I'll be expanding it and rounding out the design to support the use of sound buffers as modifiers.

As always, I am more than happy for others to use my work; my open source isn't as neat or organized, but the source is always out there and freely offered.

kaylapuppy

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2003, 08:49:00 AM »

love.gif

Regards,
KP