xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Progressive Dvd... Worth It?  (Read 176 times)

fOZf8

• Archived User
Progressive Dvd... Worth It?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2003, 07:07:00 PM »

beerchug.gif

MikeHolliday

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2003, 12:10:00 PM »

What if i want to go back and forth?
My TV is a regular tube but downstairs my parents have a new HDTV, how can i make it so i can watch dvd's on both? or should i just get a $100 progressive scan dvd player?

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2003, 01:26:00 PM »

Ok...I'm a bit confused...

I  happen to prefer the Xbox DVD player to DVD-X (unless I need it to be region free)...

If I patch the dash does that also patch the dvd player to be progressive all the time?

(and why does everyone talk of patching DVDX...ya'll just a bunch of cheap bastards that don't want to spring for the remote?)

Brian

Nathan561

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2003, 02:47:00 PM »

QUOTE (razorrifh @ May 6 2003, 09:59 PM)
use one of thses if you have a nice enough computer monitor, then you can have progressive scan on your comp. you'll still need a hdtv reciever if you wanna watch tv on it though.

Hey Razor, if i was to hook this up to my Xbox and PC monitor to enable HDTV would all the games just enter into HDTV and progressive automatically?
Also do i need a special monitor? Capable or certain resolutions?
Finally, how does the sound work? I presume it has an external jack.
Thanks  wink.gif

maxgeek

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2003, 02:59:00 PM »

U have to set your XBOX to 480p in the xbox dash and then games that support progressive mode will run progressive, ones that don't won't show up.

Works with almost any monitor. But interlaced video won't work. Depending on your monitor and the game you can also run HDTV resolutions of 1280x720(720p) and 1920x1080 (1080i/540p)

You also need the the M$ XBOX HD av pack and you use the sound output from that. It comes with a converter cable to connect RCA sound cables to PC speaker input jack.

Nathan561

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2003, 03:08:00 PM »

smile.gif
I guess i will just have to patch the MS Dashboard to run it on the monitor.. or just use the TV to set the options.
I think i might just get this seeing as i have a couple of 19inch monitors sitting in the garage!

Nathan561

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2003, 03:12:00 PM »

Oh yea, one last thing. I remember seeing that wierd xbox VGA adapter with the green things on the top and it got really bad reviews, bad quality etc.
I'm guessing, considering its 3/4 times the price that this adapter is ALOT better quality?

maxgeek

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2003, 03:26:00 PM »

Those other adapters are Double Liners. They take interlaced video from S-cable to double the lines so you get a blurry picture. This thing takes Progressive video from Component (HDTV ypbpr) connectors and converts it to a VGA signal. (Transcoder) So this thing is basicly as good as HDTV. I have a HDTV and the xblaster and they look the same except my HDTV can do widescreen and my monitor can't. Some people complain about the xblasters colors, like dark colors but i don't really notice anything.

Almost all xbox games support 480p,  a few like kung fu chaos don't.

Check out hdgames.net for a pretty accuracate list.

maxgeek

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2003, 03:28:00 PM »

Oh and at less then $100 you can't go wrong with a XBlaster. I bought mine for $170 just about 2 months ago. KDS actually put a resonable retail price on it now. Dang I got pwned, but owell i wouldn't have waited even if i knew a price drop was in store.

thunderlegs

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2003, 06:19:00 PM »

can someone please explain what progrssive scan is???
and what r the benefits of it????

and does it really make a difference

maxgeek

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2003, 06:51:00 PM »

Yes you will need a HD AV Pack. Remember the audio jacks are on the av pack. So basicly any sound setup that worked for you before will work now.

For the progressive question
heres a example I made in Fireworks for a report I did a while back.
user posted image
user posted image

interlaced is like a regular tv with RCA cables or S cable. It only does every other line. So 480i "i" for interlaced = 720x240 in computer resolution. 480p "p" for progressive = 720x480 in computer resolution

thunderlegs

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2003, 07:02:00 PM »

progressive scan is available for gaming right
i mean when u buy the xbox it comes wit it without editing anythin

thunderlegs

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2003, 07:47:00 PM »

i changed the hex code in the DVDX for progressive scan......but do u need component cables to be able to view this progressive scan or can u stick with ur normal RCA cables?

maxgeek

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2003, 08:52:00 PM »

you must have component cables of coarse

Nathan561

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2003, 10:46:00 AM »

blink.gif because XBMP does not have an option for 480p and obviously my monitor doesn't support interlacing... so... no more XBMP for me unless there is a patch...
Pages: 1 [2] 3