xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Will Ms Media Extender Button Be Present On Media Blade?  (Read 162 times)

Blackbolt

• Archived User
Will Ms Media Extender Button Be Present On Media Blade?
« on: April 06, 2006, 02:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(RedRobin666 @ Apr 6 2006, 07:18 PM) View Post

Hi,

Just wanted to know if for those that do have a Media Center PC, and official MS Xbox Extender software available can there be a Media Center button still present on the Media blade as per actual Xbox 360:

At the moment screenshots on Blackbolt site show Movie Trailers button has replaced this option:

Which makes sense for 99% of the XBMC population (and I'd still be keen to maintain anyway!) but would dearly like to be able to replace EvoX as my dashboard with XBMC once MC360 is available, and that's about all EvoX is doing at the moment, letting me choose whether to start XBMC or MS Extender.

At the moment I have MS Extender installed to HDD in the following location:
/E/apps/Media Center Extender for Xbox/

Keep up the good work!

RedRobin666

You are the only person with that software installed on their xbox that I know of. But if you so wish, as part of our 'Support' for modding MC360, I will do a tutorial on the revamped site once MC360 is released, showing you, with pictures etc, how you can change the Icon and text and have that button launch your media center, it will be very simple, just create the icon, replace the icon link in the xml for the media home blade and also replace the code of what it launches, that way it will be done for you.

deadparrot

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 04:36:00 PM »

I've got it as well, and have been hard at work on hard wiring my DVD Dongle in a way I haven't seen done before.  The plan is to get myself a decent LCD and run XBMC with MC360 in my room so I can leave the actual 360 downstairs on the with the Home Theatre stuff.  And I've never had any luck with SMB sharing or ccXstream so I'm hoping the MS stuff will work better with my MCE PC!  Great work guys!

ruciz

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 07:20:00 AM »

QUOTE(deadparrot @ Apr 6 2006, 11:43 PM) View Post

I've got it as well, and have been hard at work on hard wiring my DVD Dongle in a way I haven't seen done before.  The plan is to get myself a decent LCD and run XBMC with MC360 in my room so I can leave the actual 360 downstairs on the with the Home Theatre stuff.  And I've never had any luck with SMB sharing or ccXstream so I'm hoping the MS stuff will work better with my MCE PC!  Great work guys!

Use relax with XNS shares.. change the port & IP in XBMC config file for XNS shares to represent your computer's IP, and the configured port of relax (I would set to something else other than 1400, but you can set it to anything) put it in debug mode 9 and enjoy. After you have your shared files setup, press CTRL + S to save the configuration.

You should make your xbox IP static on your router and lock relax to only work with your xboxes IP too for added security, also enable your software firewalls to pass all ports to your xbox IP, as you know its a safe one.

MCE is nice for live TV, but slow and DRM is rediculous for streaming from a computer.

kotix

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 07:55:00 AM »

MCE Extender?? No tnx!!!
I have a win MCE, i have an xbox360 with remote control and the extender working, i also do have transcode360 installed and all other apps needed to watch divx and other medias, but I also have XBMC....
Guess what I use all the time as my Multimedia box....
Let me just say that between a 3GHZ 3cores machine with the extender installed and a celeron700Mhz with XBMC on, I still prefer the 2nd one tongue.gif
BTW You don't need that button as you can always launch the extender from your application screen

sadalius

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 03:24:00 PM »

Like kotix says, you don't really need a button if you install the MCE software as an application. Thats the way I have it setup on mine atm. Although for a more genuine look and feel, it would be better on the media home blade. From the way Blackbolt descibes it, it would be as simple as adding a custom icon and changing the xml, much like re-arranging the menu's in unleashx's config.xml, evox's evox.ini file or even XBMC's xml files. Sounds pretty simple to me. Keep up the good work Blackbolt!

RedRobin666

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 03:29:00 PM »

Blackbolt:
Many thanks for your solution, that'll make me (and the other half) very happy!  I was wondering if it was more like 0.01% of Xbox population was using a setup like mine, don't mind putting in a bit of work to customise things if you can give some guidance.

If I produce anything useful, or others come out of the woodwork with Xbox Extender setup, I'll post my specific changes and icon up here for others to use.

deadparrot:
I've not had any problems with networking to my PC with either ccXstream or SMB, although once I moved across to latest OS install I've just used SMB to minimised the number of things running. My home network's got 2 PCs and 2 Modded Xboxes running off a router on static IPs and linked with my broadband connection.

If you just use simple file sharing in XP you should be able to browse to your PC's Workgroup > PC > Shared Directory simply by selecting 'Workgroup (SMB) Network' option that included in latest T3CH build configurations. If and when you get bored with that edit your XboxMediaCenter.xml config file to something like this, which is what I have for my 'Video' root drives:

<video>
        <default />
        <bookmark>
            <name>- Video Directory on Office PC -</name>
            <path>smb://Hub/Video</path>
        </bookmark>
        <bookmark>
            <name>E Drive</name>
            <path>E:\</path>
        </bookmark>
        <bookmark>
            <name>F drive</name>
            <path>F:\</path>
        </bookmark>
        <bookmark>
            <name>G drive</name>
            <path>G:\</path>
        </bookmark>
        <bookmark>
            <name>DVD-ROM drive</name>
            <path>D:\</path>
        </bookmark>

Just look in your current XboxMediaCenter.xml (in root of XBMC install directory), make a backup, and then look for what you've currently got after the line ''

kotix:
Don't worry there's a good reason I use MS Extender...and its not used for viewing video, audio or pictures! Its extremely limited on formats (WMV v7-9 anyone?), and the lag in menu navigation is horrible.

What it is very good at though is a TV PVR Extender. I'm in the UK so we get plenty of channels through digital Freeview aerial reception, especially now channels like E4 and More4 are around.

My MCE PC records what I want, I watch it when I want from either Living room or Bedroom, and each of those rooms also gets Live Digital Freeview without needing to buy additional set-top boxes for those rooms.

sadalius:
You and kotix are right I could always lauch from applications...its just that it being launched from within the Media blade would seem soo much smoother, and be a match for actual 360 dashboard.

A lot of that is I don't want my other half having to go into the applications side and accidentally launching DVD2Xbox or Video Switcher by accident...if its under the Media blade and that's the default blade to open on startup I can't be accussed of over complicating things...this time  wink.gif

sadalius

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 01:31:00 PM »

I completely understand RedRobin666 and I agree with you. biggrin.gif

evilyakult

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 08:47:00 PM »

As slow as it is the MCE extender for xbox was, its an app im glad i bought - it is so easy to install onto the HDD.

Hopefully MCE360 and/or XBMC can make more use of the buttons on the XB:MCE remote

diagdave

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 03:47:00 AM »

just edit you keymap file to add the buttons, the support is there infact a keymap file for the remote is in the cvs

diagdave

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 04:31:00 AM »

RedRobin666

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 03:21:00 PM »

On a related note, only recently that you can make almost any universal or multi remote that has DVD features and buttons work with XBMC specifically (won't work outside of XBMC, but then if you've got it as your dashboard, and now includes DVD player, where else do you want a remote to work)

The trick, from XBMC Online manual is:

'XBMC can be put in a test mode displaying the code number read when you press a button by setting <displayremotecodes> to 'true' in XboxMediaCenter.xml.'

See: http://manual.xboxme...ents=1#comments

There's also pages on:

ProgramJP1Remotes
http://manual.xboxme...ents=1#comments

And Setup Harmony Remote:
http://manual.xboxme...nyRemote&v=13nz

As well as keymap-advanced-setup-v2
http://manual.xboxme...edsetupv2&v=4dw

Once I've got XBMC 2.0 and MC360 bedded in I think it'll be time to setup that Xbox Extender keymap in my Bedroom, and setup the Multi remote that came with my Yamaha S80 system to do away with the standard Xbox DVD remote that I use in there at the moment...then both living room and bedroom systems will only have 2 remotes!! (If life gets much simpler the other half won't need me to turn on the TV anymore  ohmy.gif )