xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Xbmc Skin Manager  (Read 314 times)

xboxbox451

• Archived User
Xbmc Skin Manager
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2008, 04:17:00 PM »

Just tried your updated Skin Manager and it works great. Transfered 4 skins perfectly. Thanks for the hard work.

In case your wondering, heres some of my config stats: WinXP Pro SP3/XBMC rev. 12263/Comodo Firewall 2.4 (windows firewall off)/Xbox mod - Chipped/Network - ethernet

@JoeUser38, I think your problem lies within your firewall. When I block Xbmc Skin Manager's access to my box with my firewall, the same behavior happens, where the "Download/Update" option becomes grayed out.

Try completely uninstalling your Norton firewall, and ensure Microsoft's built-in firewall is off. I personally use Comodo's free firewall version 2.4. I've tried their latest version, but its a bit obtrusive and bloated, so for now I'm sticking with their 2.4 version. If you want to try it, you can download it here --> LINK

Scroll to the bottom and click the continue button to reveal the link for version 2.4

JoeUser38

• Archived User
Xbmc Skin Manager
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 04:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(xboxbox451 @ May 21 2008, 04:53 PM) View Post

Just tried your updated Skin Manager and it works great. Transfered 4 skins perfectly. Thanks for the hard work.

In case your wondering, heres some of my config stats: WinXP Pro SP3/XBMC rev. 12263/Comodo Firewall 2.4 (windows firewall off)/Xbox mod - Chipped/Network - ethernet

@JoeUser38, I think your problem lies within your firewall. When I block Xbmc Skin Manager's access to my box with my firewall, the same behavior happens, where the "Download/Update" option becomes grayed out.

Try completely uninstalling your Norton firewall, and ensure Microsoft's built-in firewall is off. I personally use Comodo's free firewall version 2.4. I've tried their latest version, but its a bit obtrusive and bloated, so for now I'm sticking with their 2.4 version. If you want to try it, you can download it here --> LINK

Scroll to the bottom and click the continue button to reveal the link for version 2.4

I'll try uninstalling the firewall later (transferring some torrents right now). I did verify that the Windows Firewall is off, so disabling the Norton firewall SHOULD have let it right through (and like I said, it picked up that new skins existed, so it obviously had access to the internet).

Another possibility I was thinking of is that I am using Windows Vista (Ultimate 64-bit edition, SP1, all updates).  Wonder if the new version has problems with Vista?  My laptop is using Windows XP Media Center 2005 (SP3, all updates), so I can try it on that when my wife is not using it.

Can anyone verify this working on Vista, to rule that out?

JoeUser38

• Archived User
Xbmc Skin Manager
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2008, 01:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(juju2 @ May 22 2008, 03:32 AM) View Post

Well I don't know for Vista (I use XP SP3). But if you say that SVN versions are synchronysed, then Internet access works (it's tested by pinging google.com, yahoo.com or microsoft.com). Try to run xbmcsm with "d" (debug) option : execute this
CODE
"disk:\path to xbmcsm\xbmcsm.exe" d

If an error occur, you'll have a "traceback" in log at starting which explain what is wrong.

Hmm, where does it save the log to, under what name?  I can't find it.
I noticed it picked up that there is a new version of one of the skins today, btw, but still have the Download/Update grayed out.  Still lets me transfer to the Xbox fine, also (had XBMC running, and it gave the standard warning that XBMC was the dash).

juju2

• Archived User
Xbmc Skin Manager
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2008, 04:09:00 PM »

CODE
ping google.com

And see if response time is > 1000ms

JoeUser38

• Archived User
Xbmc Skin Manager
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(juju2 @ May 23 2008, 10:55 AM) View Post

In this mode, the log is in standard XBMCSM window in "Operations" tab into text zone. It's something like that
CODE
----   EXCEPTION TRACEBACK   ----
error traceback...
----      END TRACEBACK      ----

If you want the log in a file (xbmcsm.log in intallation directory), add "l" option :
CODE
"disk:\path to xbmcsm\xbmcsm.exe" dl

But I see what's the problem now : on prevois versions, Internet connection was tested with a dummy HTTP request on google.com (provided by a Python standard function) : it's a very heavy method, so I replaced it by a simple ping request which fails for some reason and "Download" checkbox is grayed when ping doesn't work.

BUT this doesn't affect SVN synchro (a little bug, normally it's skipped) that works : so you can see SVN updates but you can't download them....

For your problem, you can download this (replace your library.zip file into your xbmcsm 0.6 installation directory) : this a updated version which doesn't gray download checkbox any more, so you should be able to download SVN skin (I'm not sure about HTTP ones) and tell me if you obtain a traceback, because I don't see why the ping fails  sad.gif

I'll try it out tonight (at work now). On the failed ping, I wonder if my router is blocking it (Linksys running DD-WRT v24 firmware).

JoeUser38

• Archived User
Xbmc Skin Manager
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2008, 11:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(juju2 @ May 23 2008, 10:55 AM) View Post

In this mode, the log is in standard XBMCSM window in "Operations" tab into text zone. It's something like that
CODE
----   EXCEPTION TRACEBACK   ----
error traceback...
----      END TRACEBACK      ----

If you want the log in a file (xbmcsm.log in intallation directory), add "l" option :
CODE
"disk:\path to xbmcsm\xbmcsm.exe" dl

But I see what's the problem now : on prevois versions, Internet connection was tested with a dummy HTTP request on google.com (provided by a Python standard function) : it's a very heavy method, so I replaced it by a simple ping request which fails for some reason and "Download" checkbox is grayed when ping doesn't work.

BUT this doesn't affect SVN synchro (a little bug, normally it's skipped) that works : so you can see SVN updates but you can't download them....

For your problem, you can download this (replace your library.zip file into your xbmcsm 0.6 installation directory) : this a updated version which doesn't gray download checkbox any more, so you should be able to download SVN skin (I'm not sure about HTTP ones) and tell me if you obtain a traceback, because I don't see why the ping fails  sad.gif

Well, the new library.zip let me download the SVN skins, but not the HTTP skins, as suspected.  Also, I tried it out on the laptop running XP, and it works fine there (original library.zip), so we can rule out the router blocking the ping.  It must be related to Vista, or the firewall (unlikely, as it was disabled, but I suppose it's possible it doesn't quite disable itself all the way... I've seen that before).

There must be someone else out there that has tried this with Vista... anyone?
Or, anyone using it with Norton Internet Security (successful or not, we need to rule one of them out).

QUOTE(juju2 @ May 23 2008, 04:45 PM) View Post

I thought about something else : the ping timeout is a bit short (1 second) try to execute
CODE
ping google.com

And see if response time is > 1000ms

Ping ranged from 40ms to 44ms, and that was with Second Life running on another computer, and Azureus running on this one.  Doesn't look like that's the problem.

Oh, I got NOTHING in the log other than the standard messages, btw.  Could you verify that the command-line is "xbmcsm.exe d"?

djdafreund

• Archived User
Xbmc Skin Manager
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2008, 04:26:00 PM »

It would be nice if you could add 'Back-Row' skin to the list.  90% of the time the only one i use myself and my friends  biggrin.gif

xboxbox451

• Archived User
Xbmc Skin Manager
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2008, 05:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(JoeUser38 @ May 25 2008, 01:44 AM) View Post

so we can rule out the router blocking the ping.  It must be related to Vista, or the firewall (unlikely, as it was disabled, but I suppose it's possible it doesn't quite disable itself all the way... I've seen that before).

Did you just disable your firewall or uninstall it? I've had problems with firewalls where by disabling it, the firewall still blocked apps. I've had to completely uninstall them to regain full functionality. You might want to uninstall norton firewall, reboot and try the skin manager to confirm.

JoeUser38

• Archived User
Xbmc Skin Manager
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2008, 09:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(xboxbox451 @ May 25 2008, 06:24 PM) View Post

Did you just disable your firewall or uninstall it? I've had problems with firewalls where by disabling it, the firewall still blocked apps. I've had to completely uninstall them to regain full functionality. You might want to uninstall norton firewall, reboot and try the skin manager to confirm.

So far, just disabled; I've been seeding a couple of files non-stop the last few days, don't want to bring it down just yet, so I can't test by uninstalling the firewall just yet.  This is why I was asking if anyone has had either success or failure using Vista and/or Norton Internet Security.

djdafreund

• Archived User
Xbmc Skin Manager
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2008, 03:46:00 PM »

Nice!!! I was just asking based on the picture in the post. Didn't realize it worked off of svn automatically. This is a nice project.

JoeUser38

• Archived User
Xbmc Skin Manager
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2008, 01:52:00 AM »

Well, I can confirm now that my problem is not related to the firewall.  I completely uninstalled my firewall, and got the same issue.  For the test, I made sure the Windows firewall was disabled, also.

It must be related to Vista.

juju2

• Archived User
Xbmc Skin Manager
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2008, 04:01:00 AM »

QUOTE(JoeUser38 @ Jun 10 2008, 10:28 AM) View Post

Well, I can confirm now that my problem is not related to the firewall.  I completely uninstalled my firewall, and got the same issue.  For the test, I made sure the Windows firewall was disabled, also.

It must be related to Vista.

Ok, I'll try to find a computer on Vista for test it. It's very strange because I've looked on ping test request with a packet sniffer and it's a normal ICMP ping request....
XBMCSM is still on Python 2.5.1 (may it's buggy on vista), I'll try to update it to 2.5.2

JoeUser38

• Archived User
Xbmc Skin Manager
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2008, 04:28:00 AM »

QUOTE(juju2 @ Jun 12 2008, 04:37 AM) View Post

Ok, I'll try to find a computer on Vista for test it. It's very strange because I've looked on ping test request with a packet sniffer and it's a normal ICMP ping request....
XBMCSM is still on Python 2.5.1 (may it's buggy on vista), I'll try to update it to 2.5.2

Aha, getting somewhere now!  I went into the Compatibility options, and selected compatibility for Windows XP, and still no go... However, I undid that, and selected "Run as an administrator", ran it, Windows asked for my Administrator password, and it worked (I log in using a standard account, not Administrator).

It would be preferable to not have to run it under an Administrator account, of course, but now at least we know it has something to do with the privileges.  Also, at least there is a work-around.

JoeUser38

• Archived User
Xbmc Skin Manager
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2008, 06:54:00 AM »

QUOTE(JoeUser38 @ Jun 13 2008, 05:04 AM) View Post

Aha, getting somewhere now!  I went into the Compatibility options, and selected compatibility for Windows XP, and still no go... However, I undid that, and selected "Run as an administrator", ran it, Windows asked for my Administrator password, and it worked (I log in using a standard account, not Administrator).

It would be preferable to not have to run it under an Administrator account, of course, but now at least we know it has something to do with the privileges.  Also, at least there is a work-around.

Couldn't edit...

Just thought I'd mention that I don't know if Administrator privileges are needed for XP or not, as on my XP machine I DO log on with an Administrator account.  My wife is using that computer right now, so I can't test that out (by logging into a non-Administrator account).  Something to look into, it may not be Vista at all, it may just be that you need Administrator privileges period.

JoeUser38

• Archived User
Xbmc Skin Manager
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2008, 01:17:00 AM »

QUOTE(JoeUser38 @ Jun 13 2008, 07:30 AM) View Post

Couldn't edit...

Just thought I'd mention that I don't know if Administrator privileges are needed for XP or not, as on my XP machine I DO log on with an Administrator account.  My wife is using that computer right now, so I can't test that out (by logging into a non-Administrator account).  Something to look into, it may not be Vista at all, it may just be that you need Administrator privileges period.

Haven't been able to check on my XP machine, but looking at the comments in the code, this seems to be confirmed.

ping.py:
CODE
# Note that ICMP messages can only be sent from processes running
# as root.
Pages: 1 [2] 3