xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Original Vs Copy  (Read 57 times)

Jezz_X

• Archived User
Original Vs Copy
« on: June 20, 2007, 07:12:00 PM »

Has anyone else noticed that the skins that copy someone elses UI tend to get all the glory while once that are original and nice get very little attention ?
The two main examples of this are of course mc360 and xTV  probably the two most popular skins out there when other skins like containment and Vision just get a small amount of people liking them

Why is it that people seem to desire Copies of other peoples work better than other great skins.  Example every time a new media center comes out someone requests a copy of it (mce2005, Vista MCE, Ubuntu, Apples, that new divx player)

Anyway just a random thought like I said Intersted to here other opinions though

D3vi@nt

• Archived User
Original Vs Copy
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 07:30:00 PM »

your right theres no more originality now a days sleep.gif

CHI3f

• Archived User
Original Vs Copy
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 07:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(D3vi@nt @ Jun 20 2007, 10:06 PM) View Post

your right theres no more originality now a days sleep.gif

Vision and Containment are original.

D3vi@nt

• Archived User
Original Vs Copy
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 08:17:00 PM »

na i mean the other skins mc360 xtv and all the vista and ps3 skins out there

lawdawg0931

• Archived User
Original Vs Copy
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 10:49:00 PM »

I checked out MC360 for a couple days...mainly because of all the hype. But then realized, I could just turn on my 360 if I wanted to see that... huh.gif   Now - Vision & Containment are still being actively used on my Xbox's....Vision ( with PMIII theme = Awesome ). No offense to BB at all on the MC360 - great job to say the least, just not for me.

mbay

• Archived User
Original Vs Copy
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 11:18:00 PM »

In the past, coders and skinners would use other skins as a "tutorial", and use this knowledge to create original skins. Nowadays, it does seem that since more skins have been released, speculation is that previous code was manipulate it to match the creator's needs.

Why? This could be because they admire the ideas used and want to implement them, or believe a theme they have in mind could be done with current skins, therefor using a skin as a base to make their own. Either way, this is not something I condone, but it may offer light into the situation.

A resolution? Unfortunately, there is no way to have this source locked, similar to html and css, but maybe using an honor system and credit in the skin, if there could be a "credits" button implementation, that would bring up people's names that should, in my opinion, be credited as these skins or themes could not have been produced otherwise.

In my case, the PM3 theme for containment could not have begun if Choke, Jezz_X or Chi3f had not provided their assistance.

To some, the above may seem lame, but maybe there wouldn't be such hard feelings going around if those using the code/graphics could take responsibility for using it and admit to it.

Jezz_X

• Archived User
Original Vs Copy
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 11:25:00 PM »

mbay your missing the point I think Its not about people copying things from other skins like PM3 themes for Vision and containment.   But more about taking a whole look from another piece of software (Vista Media Center, Xbox 360) and copying that so that XBMC looks like it

I'm just curious why these are more popular instead XBMC having its own look

NineT9mustang

• Archived User
Original Vs Copy
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 12:11:00 AM »

Personally, I think there are a few reasons for it:

1) Showing off. The one reason I liked mc360 so much was because it was the 360 dashboard. So for me it was nice to show people, "yea... thats the 360 dashboard on my Xbox1.", "yea... thats the AppleTV interface on my Xbox1.". No matter WHAT those interfaces looked like (Beautiful or Ugly) they were going to be skinned to xbmc. Thats why some of us like them so much, to show off.

2) Easier to build. Instead of constantly thinking about the most perfect layout, how everything will look, etc... 'Skin Clones' (MC360, xTV, etc) already have those layouts made. The only work needed is creating the images and xml... Im NOT saying its an easy job, but a lot easier then coming up with an original idea for a layout thats never been done before.

3) XBMC Features. What I enjoy most about Skin Clones is the ability to have the same exact look, but take advantage of all of xbmc offers (Everything the original does and a lot more). So for the people who think, "oh wow AppleTV is nice, id love that", you have XBMC with xTV. Which does about everything AppleTV can and more.

For me, I have always felt the most important part of a skin/gui is the layout. Thats the key. After you have a nice layout, then you'll have themes, and other skins based on the layout... With Vision, I spent so much time thinking of a creative unique layout that hasn't been done, I had some crazy mockups... But in the end? I chose Project Mayhem 3's main layout. You just can't beat it its perfect. You'll notice I added my own idea's like Hidden Sidebar, Topbar's Folder.jpg, etc... But its mostly PM3's layout. Except for Visions home. Which is the Vision I had for it since I started it.

As far as XBMC having its own unique look... Thats PM3. Like I said, its pretty hard to top such an amazing skin... but I hope it gets done soon, XBMC is due for a entire new unique look that takes advantage of XBMC more then PM3 does. Who will take us there? Well theres great talent that just joined Team XBMC, I'm sure those creative minds will think of something amazing smile.gif

I'm sure these reasons don't apply to everyone, this is just my personal opinion! So please dont' attack me with cat pictures!  ph34r.gif

Jezz_X

• Archived User
Original Vs Copy
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 12:19:00 AM »

fair enough NineT9Mustang but point 2 is a little wrong as well because I was more about the end users choice of the replicas over original not the People who make them. Though its a fair to say people make them because its easier than comignnup with fresh ideas smile.gif

competes2win

• Archived User
Original Vs Copy
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 07:47:00 AM »

I agree with the above comments about enjoying the fact that we can make our ancient xbox 1 look like other newer systems.... But seriously if I could skin, I'd so make a Super Nintendo themed Skin... haha shoot i'd pay someone to make me a good one...

As for the xtv skin, I suspect that all of us xbox fanboys have a hidden hate/jealousy for apple, and the skin is a sort of compromise...

mbay

• Archived User
Original Vs Copy
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 12:18:00 PM »

mbay your missing the point

I see more clearly now what you were referring to, Jezz_X.

In my opinion it's that people who admire other user interfaces would like to see them on the xbox, like the Xii or MC360 (as was mentioned by NineT9mustang).

Honestly, I look forward to using the Xii on the xbox for XBMC. Part of it is that I don't own the Wii, really can't afford one at the moment, and would like to enjoy using it's interface if I can, even if it means for XBMC. Again, this is a personal preference.

But do I prefer these to original ideas? Not per say, I think what the majority of XBMC users are looking for is cool ideas and fun skins to play around with, customizable, and user-friendly. So if that means a new idea or an existing interface and replicating it, I say, why not?

hXr.eXe

• Archived User
Original Vs Copy
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 02:33:00 PM »

spot on mbay!

CHI3f

• Archived User
Original Vs Copy
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 02:38:00 PM »

I would not say it is always easier to replicate another dash when making a skin cause you dont have to think of a layout. When you are making a replica dash, obviously you would want it to "perform" like the dash it is trying mock. With the limitations of the skinning engine it is not easy to replicate some of the stuff that is done in the dash you are trying to mock, so you are left with trying different kinds of "trickery" to make it look the same which can be kinda hard at times cause you are left trying to fill shoes your feet are too small for if you get what I am saying.

That is just my opinion.

timo1023

• Archived User
Original Vs Copy
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 04:58:00 PM »

No offense, but most of the original skins we see around here just aren't all that attractive. Companies like Microsoft can devote a lot of time and money on just the pure usability and appearance of their applications, so logically, I wouldn't expect something of the same caliber to come from a project done with free time. However, skins like Vision and PM3 are great, and I even prefer Vision over all of the other XBMC skins.