xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: New Xbmc Skin - Ex  (Read 599 times)

Blackbolt

• Archived User
New Xbmc Skin - Ex
« on: October 11, 2006, 03:35:00 PM »

eX - 2007
for Xbox Media Center

"eX is not about words, infact there isnt a SINGLE written word in the skin. The only words you will see onscreen are your filenames and settings. eX is completly unified, no need for languages. Its simplified, anyone can use it, from any country or planet! Its Satisfied, eX will change the way you use XBMC. More information in the future."

Basically I am starting work on a new skin, a very simplified skin, there will be no usage of words to describe anything, the only use of words will be the file names and the keyboard entry items, anything user based that cannot be displayed by simple icons.

I am only just planning the skin now, but I was interested in what Ideas you guys had, if any about things you would like out of a simple XBMC skin.

This post has been edited by Blackbolt: Oct 14 2006, 11:34 PM

Loaded_Gun_Complex

• Archived User
New Xbmc Skin - Ex
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 03:37:00 PM »

Go Blackbolt!

Tickethead

• Archived User
New Xbmc Skin - Ex
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 04:02:00 PM »

Woo Hoo!!!!!!

My first suggestion is that on the "My Videos" the complete screen will be all DVD covers.  Proper separation of course but maximum usage of the screen would be great for those of us that have 300+ DVD's and even more so for us HD users with wide screen tvs.  Any icons needed for the options in My Videos could be placed decreetly at the bottom of the screen or a button press could bring up a small pop up similar to the pop up for powering on/off and reboot but with the relevant icons needed for My Videos options.  Several of us have discussed this in the Kaleidescape Skin thread.  Many good ideas in that thread....  Hope you take this into consideration.  Whatever you do I know it will be cool!

Thanks!

Blackbolt

• Archived User
New Xbmc Skin - Ex
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 04:08:00 PM »

If you have seen the way that Media Center Vista works when listing stuff, you will get the idea of how I will be doing eX!

This post has been edited by Blackbolt: Oct 11 2006, 11:08 PM

Far Beyond Driven

• Archived User
New Xbmc Skin - Ex
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 03:56:00 PM »

So is this Media Center 3000? Was just thinking about that this morning.. smile.gif

I'm all for a new skin that will be quick, stylish and black.

edwinmcdunlap

• Archived User
New Xbmc Skin - Ex
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 04:45:00 PM »

Sweet...

How did you get the name "eX"?

bluegamble

• Archived User
New Xbmc Skin - Ex
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 04:57:00 PM »

hi

it sounds good, there was a skin long time ago called Simole Simon which had only buttons without text mostly.
The problem is that you need real cheap buttons so everyone understand with one view what the button will do.
i think it´s not really easy...

Tickethead

• Archived User
New Xbmc Skin - Ex
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 05:27:00 PM »

I assume your talking about the bottom display of the picture below.  That would be extremely cool.  I would add a couple of more rows of cover art, but I am biased.  I have lots of DVD's.

(IMG:http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/2536/vistamediacenterfr3.jpg)

Blackbolt

• Archived User
New Xbmc Skin - Ex
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 05:43:00 PM »

bluegamble I am sure I can pull it off though, I have been thinking about this skin for about 2 years now. MC360 just got in the way for the last year.

Loaded_Gun_Complex, the name eX comes from "eXperience, eXciting, eXcellent, eXcuberant", etc. Its just a name, I wanted it to just be 'X' but i thought it would cause some confusion so its still called 'X' but now with an e on the front, basically it was so its still called 'X'.

Terc

• Archived User
New Xbmc Skin - Ex
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 07:34:00 PM »

Blackbolt & Co, you never cease to amaze, great looking stuff here.

I fear my new skin is about to be overshadowed.

Oh well, I'll be looking forward to this.

roormonger

• Archived User
New Xbmc Skin - Ex
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 08:43:00 PM »

Sounds cool but I can't really see it being better than MC360. I guess I will have to see.

Tickethead

• Archived User
New Xbmc Skin - Ex
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 09:12:00 PM »

I think it will be perfect for those of us that use XBMC as a media server almost exlcusively.  Don't get me wrong, MC360 is an awsome skin, but I tend to lean towards a more elegant skin for my home theater system.  I'm 39 years old and gaming is very low on my list of priorities and to me the MC360 skin is more geared to that genre.  My home theater on the other hand is my pride and joy and this skin would only enhance the HT experience.  Of course this is just my personal taste.... YMMV...

Loaded_Gun_Complex

• Archived User
New Xbmc Skin - Ex
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 08:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(edwinmcdunlap @ Oct 11 2006, 03:16 PM) View Post

Sweet...

How did you get the name "eX"?

I didnt say that tongue.gif

QUOTE(Blackbolt @ Oct 11 2006, 04:14 PM) View Post

bluegamble I am sure I can pull it off though, I have been thinking about this skin for about 2 years now. MC360 just got in the way for the last year.

Loaded_Gun_Complex   blink.gif , the name eX comes from "eXperience, eXciting, eXcellent, eXcuberant", etc. Its just a name, I wanted it to just be 'X' but i thought it would cause some confusion so its still called 'X' but now with an e on the front, basically it was so its still called 'X'.

mbay

• Archived User
New Xbmc Skin - Ex
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2006, 10:32:00 PM »

Far Beyond Driven, to my understanding, Media Center 3000 is now "Ex"...........i mean "X"! wink.gif

i'm very curious as well, and I have no doubt this will be a great skin.

2007......not too far away tongue.gif

Blackbolt

• Archived User
New Xbmc Skin - Ex
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2006, 03:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(Tickethead @ Oct 12 2006, 03:43 AM) View Post

I think it will be perfect for those of us that use XBMC as a media server almost exlcusively.  Don't get me wrong, MC360 is an awsome skin, but I tend to lean towards a more elegant skin for my home theater system.  I'm 39 years old and gaming is very low on my list of priorities and to me the MC360 skin is more geared to that genre.  My home theater on the other hand is my pride and joy and this skin would only enhance the HT experience.  Of course this is just my personal taste.... YMMV...

Yes this is my point exactly. I am about to buy a Samsung HDTV, the new N Series, and its black gloss, so I will building the skin to fit the look of that tv, also I will buying an xbox 360 and so I wont want to use MC360 with XBMC too much anyway, so eX is going to be a skin for me, much like I started MC360 alone for myself, but then it became a team project, eX will remain under my control alone as long as I can survive without help, biggrin.gif, but having Jezz_x and his magical powers on the team, might be too tempting...

So yah, this skin is soley aimed at the mature home theatre market and will be totally Media driven, games will be stuffed in the back somewhere. Its going to be a simple skin, no where near as complex as mc360 but it will be damn sexy and I can't wait till its done so I can use it myself.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5