xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbmc As Upnp Media Server  (Read 36 times)

obcd

• Archived User
Xbmc As Upnp Media Server
« on: March 21, 2008, 04:13:00 AM »

I would like to use my xbox with xbmc as a mediaserver. I don't have a pc running 24 hours a day in  my home, and I like the fact that the xbox is nearly instant turning on, something I can't say from my pc.

The idea is to be able to play media from the xbox on my pc when I am working with it.

I tried 2 uPnP capable renderers.
Nero showtime is seeing the XBMC uPnP server, but no subfolders come up under it's icon.
TVedia doesn't see the XBMC uPnP server.
The Intel Mediacontroller from the uPnP toolkit doesn't see the server either.
That one doesn't see my Tversity uPnP server on my pc either.
The Intel tools often hang as well.
I had very limited success with the Cidero SDK mediacontroller application. It could see the Xbmc uPnP server and Xbmc uPnP renderer. It allowed me to select files on the server and play them on the renderer.
This was established with a build from end februari. On the latest builds, a lot was changed in the uPnP code, and it doesn't seem to improve the way I try to use it.

Does anone has an idea why some application refuse to see the uPnP server or files on it?
Is there a way to debug the uPnP network traffic to see what goes wrong?

Yes, I added the xbox music to the library. That didn't fix the issue. I also added a couple of music folders to the server.

What are the known working renderers. I believe I read that the xbox360 and PS3 are working as renderer. (for the limited media types they support....)

I like the Freecom Musicpal radio which is an uPnP audio renderer. It would be nice if that one could access the music on my xbox. Any ideas if this is possible?

Xbmc is a great piece of software. It's a pitty that I can't get this functionallity working.

regards.