xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Xboxmediacenter - June 17th 2007 Svn Rev9336 Build  (Read 448 times)

freesafety13

• Archived User
Xboxmediacenter - June 17th 2007 Svn Rev9336 Build
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2007, 11:45:00 PM »

To jmarshal, while the xbox is performing any other function but playing movies or games that support a form of digital audio, the only audio I receive is PCM.  Regardless of whether I set XBMC to analog or digital.  This includes music, so again, exactly what does the option to switch from analog to digital if in fact even with XBMC set to digital, I dont get a digital signal?  If I set XBMC to analog, I still get digital audio in all my games and movies that have digital audio, along with the ability to control my volume via my xbox controller, without having to use the remote for the receiver.  I dont know what implication setting XBMC to digital has other than to pass the digital signal on to the receiver so it can handle the decoding and not the xbox.  Was this done in order to free up ram?  And according to your post, are there two forms of PCM audio, both a analog and a digital.  If so, then my previous statement is irrevelant.  

Also, I deleted all the players from this build and replaced them with the April 29 t3ch build and "magically" my picture and audio problems while playing dvd's is fixed.  There is an issue with the dvdplayer both in this build and in the last build.  I dont know if it is because of some new implication or a change that was made to the dvdplayer, but there is now enough support to officially state that there is an issue with it and it has been recreated numerous times with the exact same error.  I would post a log, but the error doesnt appear in the log, because it doesnt crash XBMC.  It just makes your movies look like crap everytime an action sequence ensues.  And the audio is on a 2ms delay.

skyzerr33

• Archived User
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2007, 12:48:00 AM »

Is there any problem with the downloading the new build i only get like 15kb/sec use to be 150kb/sec
anyone else having issues

jmarshall

• Archived User
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2007, 03:31:00 AM »

freesafety13:

Digital audio is the interface.  It sends the data digitally (ie a square wave form of 1's and 0's).  Analog audio is the interface, it sends the data analog (ie a wave form made up of various sinusoidal frequencies).

What I think you may be getting confused about are compressed forms of digital audio.  eg AC3 and DTS.  These cannot be transferred in an analog format.  They must be either transferred digitally, or decoded to PCM first before being converted to analog.

Thus, if you play a DVD for instance which generally has an AC3 or DTS soundtrack, XBMC has 2 options:

1.  If you have a digital connection enabled, and you have specified that your receiver can handle AC3 and/or DTS, then we pass the audio straight through to your receiver for decoding.  This is optimal obviously in terms of sound, but you don't have volume control inside XBMC as it never touches the audio data.  The analog outs are turned off in this case, otherwise you'd just hear the compressed data (sounds like white noise).

2.  Decode the sound.  This leaves 6 channels (or fewer) of PCM sound data.  We can downmix this to 2 channels, and this decoded sound can then be output on the analog output.  Ofcourse, there's nothing to stop xbox also outputting the decoded sound on the digital output as well.  This is what you are seeing.

The first option is superior as the audio is never touched by the xbox.  Option 2 may still give you surround sound, but it will have been decoded to 6 channel PCM by XBMC, and then handed off to the xbox sound hardware which would then downmix to 2 channels for the analog out, and then reencode as AC3 for the digital out.

The Digital/Analog settings simply allow you to tell XBMC how you have your xbox hooked up.  We choose route 1 if at all possible based on the settings you have chosen.

Hope this makes it clear.

Cheers,
Jonathan

freesafety13

• Archived User
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2007, 08:53:00 AM »

thanks for the clarification jmarshall.

bobbyblaze

• Archived User
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2007, 01:29:00 AM »

couple of problems I'd like to being to your attention if they haven't already been mentioned chaps.

Firstly, My pictures don't show up. I have added the source "F:\Media\Pictures\" to the "Pictures" option. This folder contains all the folders containing my pictures. The folders show up when selected but when they are opened they don't seem to contain anything. Nothing shows up.

Secondly, I am having problems with the apple movie trailers script. Is that broken because I can't seem to get it to work. nothing plays.

THe my pictures problem is more important though. Can anyone else confirm this or refer me to a working stable build? MAny thanks

XBNormUK

• Archived User
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2007, 06:52:00 AM »

QUOTE(jmarshall @ Jun 23 2007, 01:42 AM) View Post

If you could list your exact directory structure, and please try after you've deleted the programs database, that would be a great help, as I can't reproduce the issue (multipath bookmarks in programs).

You can scratch this one off now, after deleting the programs db, it seems to be behaving now. I have reverted back a build tho in the meantime too. I am gonna sit out the current build but will check it next time i do a new install and if it remains present i will shout up with the full directory structure. It would have been simply looking in E:\Emulators and F:\Emulators for the record but like i say, for now it seems to be fine.

Thanks for your time anyways

bobbyblaze

• Archived User
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2007, 04:08:00 AM »

QUOTE(anoobie @ Jun 24 2007, 12:26 AM) View Post

thank you for xbmc

QUOTE(bobbyblaze @ Jun 24 2007, 09:05 AM) View Post

couple of problems I'd like to being to your attention if they haven't already been mentioned chaps.

Firstly, My pictures don't show up. I have added the source "F:\Media\Pictures\" to the "Pictures" option. This folder contains all the folders containing my pictures. The folders show up when selected but when they are opened they don't seem to contain anything. Nothing shows up.

Secondly, I am having problems with the apple movie trailers script. Is that broken because I can't seem to get it to work. nothing plays.

THe my pictures problem is more important though. Can anyone else confirm this or refer me to a working stable build? MAny thanks

Downgraded to May 14 build. pictures now working. can anyone advise a build where apple movie trailers works with mc360?

Much obliged ;o)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]