xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Serious Filemanager Bug, Could Brick Softmods  (Read 430 times)

antiflag1980

• Archived User
Serious Filemanager Bug, Could Brick Softmods
« on: December 27, 2006, 04:44:00 AM »

I just found xbmc's sourceforge page and submitted a bug report. Also I forgot to mention that nothing shows up in xbmc.log about the error.

Jezz_X

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 05:12:00 AM »

at a rough guess I problem with nkpatcher and its virtual c: drive would be nice if you gave some more info on the actual softmod setups instead of just sayig softmod because its a very broad term

edwinmcdunlap

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 01:27:00 PM »

the december 25 cvs tech release and the cvs release before it.

Just so you know, XBMC no longer uses CVS.

Jezz_X

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 02:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(antiflag1980 @ Dec 27 2006, 11:51 PM) View Post

I'm just saying you would have no way to boot again on a softmodded xbox, if all the files in the root of C were deleted, whereas with a tsop flashed or modchipped xbox, you could simply pop a boot disk in the dvd drive and then restore the files on your C drive. With a softmodded xbox you wouldn't be able to boot from a burned disk and you'd be screwed.

Thats actually not true either because if you are using nkpatcher with a virtual c: drive all the actual loading of the hack happens on an invisible partition so it would still be there and the hack would still run allowing you to probably boot a CD ( mine does )

But once again you have failed to inform us of the type of softmod that would cause this problem

Seina

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 12:17:00 AM »

You could use a game exploit or xboxhdm to get a dash back. Not that it isn't a serious bug.

jmarshall

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 12:22:00 AM »

You still have not told us the important details:

How did you install your softmod and what softmod was it?  Other useful information would be a full debuglog of it occuring, plus information on what type of file from .rar you were attempting to extract.

As we can't reproduce, we are currently taking your word for it.  If anyone else can reproduce, we'd love to here it.

Cheers,
Jonathan

JayDee

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 03:36:00 AM »

Now listen:

This do not effect EVERY softmod.

If you have nkpatcher and the VIRTUAL C:\ setup you can reboot and be just fine.

The virtual c drive is a image file on e: (or even c:) that gets loaded and MOUNTED and thus leaves the real c:\ with the hacked files unaffected by anything you THINK you do to c:.

Secondly you can go and rent the game used for the exploit and load that up.
With the exploit running you get ftp access back to install the msdash files.

This post is to explain what we are talking about when we say that no, not all softmods are affected.
Nothing more nothing less.

Please post back with ALL info requested by jmarshall. Without that there wont/cant be a fix.

antiflag1980

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 01:02:00 PM »

I see your point about it not actually ending up deleting files on C if there's some virtual C drive or something, I'm not trying to say all softmods are effected, but everyone is effected if this happens to some degree whether they can recover or not. I have around 20-25 files (not folders) in the root of C, folders don't get deleted, you can see in my log that I posted which files I backup to F:/cbackup before replicating bug. Here is my debug xbmc.log and here is the link to the bugreport

The Zep Man

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 03:51:00 PM »

Can we for a moment assume that the TS never ever mentioned softmods, but that he simply stated that he found a bug which might corrupt the file system? That alone should make it 'critical'.

antiflag1980

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 07:56:00 PM »

I don't think it actually corrupts the filesystem, it's some sort of bug in the failed rar extraction cleanup code it seems like, becuase it deletes all of the files in the destination (C:\) but leaves all folders and rar files intact and they are not deleted. Like it's trying to extract the file and it can't so it goes to clean up the file it created in C:\, but somehow the code deletes all files that don't end in .rar. That could be a simple mistake in the cleanup code, I might actually look at the code myself, but I've never even looked at xbmc's code, before I imagine it would be pretty massive, since it's like the code of mplayer, unrar, an entire python runtime, the gui's code and whatever else all merged into one program. Doing a  svn co https://xbmc.svn.sou...et/svnroot/xbmc xbmc right now and from the amount of time it's taking to checkout I may be looking through code for a while.

JayDee

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 11:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(The Zep Man @ Dec 28 2006, 11:58 PM) View Post

Can we for a moment assume that the TS never ever mentioned softmods, but that he simply stated that he found a bug which might corrupt the file system? That alone should make it 'critical'.

The more important that he gives all info to jm, as he now have.

Now to reproduce and see a fix for it...

jmarshall

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006, 01:44:00 AM »

Some questions:

1.  You extracted a file (Agency.xpr) located in a .rar file on C: (C:\Mplayer.rar) to C: by the looks.  How large is this file?

2.  How large is the .rar file - is it stored, or is it compressed?

3.  How much free space do you have on C:

This will help us reproduce the issue.

Your thoughts regarding the problem are likely correct.  IIRC, spiff said a while ago that the rar manager is somewhat indiscriminant on deleting things when decompressing, as we are usually decompressing to the cache drive (Z:) which ofcourse is temporary only.

The error appears to me to be due to setting the cache rar path to the destination path, which will cause similar issues as to your description (random file deletion).  This needs remedying - I'll ask spiff to take a look into it.

Cheers,
Jonathan

spiff

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2006, 06:28:00 AM »

fixed in svn.

i'm truely sorry if this nasty overlook of mine have caused major issues for you guys :/

i knew this was going to be one of those days...... (the 4 day hangover gave it away)

spiff

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2006, 03:46:00 AM »

you indeed pointed out the correct piece of code.

but the issue was the one jmarshall mentioned.