xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Stream From Xbox Back To Pc?  (Read 34 times)

Liger

• Archived User
Stream From Xbox Back To Pc?
« on: June 14, 2005, 06:55:00 PM »

Just wondering if this is possible. I've hooked up my xbox to my wireless router and can watch movies that I have on my laptop with the WiFI connection but I'm wondering if it can go in reverse.

Is it possible to stream back from xbox to PC? And stream not ftp, I can do that already.

kingroach

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 08:14:00 PM »

I saw tutorial on how to add xbo drive as xp shared drive.. may be then it work. not sure if thats teh thing though.. you can run linux with smb share installed then you xbxo drive will show up in pc..

xboxbox451

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 09:40:00 PM »

If you would like to watch movies stored on your xbox drive via your PC, which could be convenient should your PC and xbox be located in two separate rooms, you can do this by using VLC Player.

Heres how I’ve accomplished that.

Assuming your xbox & PC are networked and capable of seeing each other on the network, try this.

First download and install VLC Player on your PC --> VLC Player link download

Next, at your PC you’ll need to map a connection to your xbox. To do this, click the following:

Start --> My Network Places --> Tools --> Map Network Drive --> “sign up for online storage or connect to a network server” --> next --> next -> a box should now appear with an open field, you’ll need to type your xbox IP address in this field a certain way, here’s two examples of how to type your xbox IP:

ftp://xxx.xxx.x.x:21 – x’s being your IP address, 21 being the port. This way you will be prompted for your username and password, both being “xbox”

ftp://xbox:[email protected]:21 – typing in this way, your xbox password is stored to your PC, but its not the safest method, though the most convenient.

After typing in your IP click next --> next --> here you should be able to type a name for your ftp connection, if you so desire, otherwise it will just display as your xbox IP --> next --> finish --> you’ll be prompted to log on, type xbox for username and password, if you cant log on don’t worry about, or reboot your xbox and try again.

You should now have a mapped connection from your PC to xbox.

Onto VLC player, assuming its installed. Open the player and click file --> open network stream --> “File” tab --> Browse… --> look for “My Network Places” in this new dialog box and click it --> now you should see your ftp connection, click that --> if your prompted for username and password, type xbox for both  and click log on --> if your connection was accepted, you should see your xbox folders. Navigate to where your desired video is and click it to open, then click OK to play.

If xbox doesn’t allow you log on then reboot your xbox and try again.

xboxbox451

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 11:22:00 PM »

Just wanted to let you know that I also, for the first time tried streaming with Windows Media Player, and it worked fine. I actually never thought to try Windows Media Player.

So now you have a second option other then the VLC player. Though you still need to map a network drive to your xbox.

To stream with Windows Media player, just open Windows Media Player --> file --> at the "look in" drop down box click the down arrow and scroll down till you find "my network places" click it --> you should see your ftp connection, click it --> enter xbox as username and password if prompted --> browse for your videos, click them to start playing.

philbee

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 02:00:00 AM »

hi guys, first off i need to thank xboxbox451 i used your quick and simple guide to setting up my xbox on my network and it works a treat except for one small issue i hope you can help me with. I use windows media player to stream my movies over from my xbox but when i click file then open and select my movie from my xbox it doesnt as such stream, it downloads all the file from my xbox and then plays it, it works fine but its annoying having to sit here until its loaded before playing. By the way im using media player 10. thanks for help in advance. :beer:

JayDee

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2005, 03:25:00 AM »

I´ll add the above guide to the pinned topic ASAP :)

Liger

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2005, 03:52:00 AM »

Thanks for the tutorial and suggestion but I've already done that before. What I wanted to do was stream. Not jut download from ftp and then play, which is waht your method does.  It connectes to the xbox, downloads the whole video to your PC and then starts playing.

Streaming is how you can play files from your PC via the Xbox almost immediately because it doesnt actually download the entire movie to the xbox but rather just grabs and displays the bit your watching. Hope that was clear. Sounds kinda confusing but streaming is differen from ftp'ing and downloading.

Liger

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2005, 07:06:00 AM »

Cant edit posts in this forum??

Anyways been doing a bit of googling and I dont think ftp can stream.

Using ccXStream is easy to setup a server on your pc for streaming one way to your xbox. But not reverse. Unless the XBMC boys can integrate ccX in the software I dont think its possible to stream from the xbox back to pc. And even if that happens, will probably need some sort of pc software to run as a client to accept the convert the incoming stream.

I soo hope someone prooves me wrong. Is there a way to stream from Xbox to PC?

S1ack

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2005, 06:41:00 AM »

VLC supports streaming
Windows media player does not. (at least version 9? and prior) Depending on how the url to the media is formatted.

I'm pretty sure ftp can't support streaming at all. It must transfer the whole file.

SMB is what you want, not FTP.

Having said that, it ain't exactly easy to come by a SMB SERVER on the xbox. One option was already listed. Run Linux on the xbox and set-up SAMBA.

Another is to use the built in SMB server in the Xodus' Xenium series of mod chips.

I've tested the latter option with VLC and it works reasonably well. Error messages fly accross the Xenium OS GUI, but the steraming contunues.

I even tried xbox (XENIUM OS)  to xbox (XBMC) streaming, but it doesn't work.

JustinT9669

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 05:27:00 PM »

QUOTE(S1ack @ Jun 16 2005, 04:48 AM) *

I'm pretty sure ftp can't support streaming at all. It must transfer the whole file.

yeah, the vlc player method just downloads the whole file.

Has anyone got streaming from xbmc to work yet?

fastvideo

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2006, 07:33:00 PM »

QUOTE(JustinT9669 @ Jan 15 2006, 07:34 PM) *

yeah, the vlc player method just downloads the whole file.

Has anyone got streaming from xbmc to work yet?

slumberpod77

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2006, 05:26:00 AM »

fast video what is the purpose of that last post? the question has already been answered in this thread.

azaxaz

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2007, 10:41:00 AM »

Last night when I was reading all this. I seen that some said that u can't stream video via FTP thou your xbox.

Why is it that a xbox can stream to a other xbox via ftp with no prob. I have two chiped xbox's all running xbmc 2007 in my house. I can stream video to xbox to xbox but still have no clue how to do it xbox to pc. Pc to xbox, streaming smb or ccxStream. Is the only way that I know how to stream to pc to xbox.. I now use smb just cause there is no third party programs runing in the backround of the PC..