xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Movie Trailer Streams - High Quality  (Read 106 times)

electronut

• Archived User
Movie Trailer Streams - High Quality
« on: October 14, 2004, 08:57:00 PM »

I have XBMC 2004-09-09 installed on my Xbox. I have the latest codecs installed and everything works fine including live TV streaming etc.

But when I use Apple QT to watch Movie Trailers in High Quality the trailers freeze up, stop and go, almost like my broadband connection isn't quick enough but I don't think that's the isse. Everything else works just fine.

What can I trouble shoot to fix this? Is High Qulaity too much for the Xbox memory and CPU speed?

JayDee

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 12:03:00 AM »

The high quality stream takes 100-200Kb/s to stream.

Had problems on a 2mbit connection, but with 8mb it is all good.

electronut

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 08:08:00 AM »

JayDee,

What do I do to check this and how do I fix it?. I have Verizon DSL.

Thanks.

mc_365

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 01:17:00 PM »

Verizon also has a 3mb tier for $40 a month less $5 if bundled.

I have this plan and my streams are fine with no other network activity.

If you have verizon 1.5 it should also work, and verizon over provisions their lines so you do get the actual advertised speeds.   My line is capable of 3.15

JayDee

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 01:49:00 PM »

Up the cache in settings and give it another whirl.

All depends on bandwidth, and this is NOTHING xbmc can fix.
Either you have it or you donĀ“t....

electronut

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 06:55:00 PM »

JayDee,

Would it be "LAN" or "Internet" Cache settings to bump up? By how much and I also assume it's the "video" that get's bumped right? Right now LAN video is at 8192 KB and Internet is at 2048 KB. Standard defaults in XBMC.

I never had a problem with my DSL speed. I can watch high qulaity trailers on my PC with no probs.

JayDee

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2004, 12:36:00 AM »

Internet video i think is the one that needs a bigger buffer.

And that is why it might work on the pc.

It buffer lets say 6 or 8 mb befor playing instead of the 2 xbmc uses by default

This is speculation, so take it for what it is....

electronut

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2004, 02:02:00 PM »

JayDee,

I played with the Internet Video Cache setting. 8MB didn't make too much difference. I maxed out to 16 MB and definitely helped. I get to about halfway through a trailer in High Quality and then it starts freezing.

Does the fact I have a 100' CAT5 cable connected to the Xbox have a factoring effect?

I can go wireless with my Netgear router but I would imagine hardwire will definitely give me better bandwidth since wireless would only be 54 MBPS. My Netgear does support 108 MBPS which I use for my laptop but unfortunately most wireless hubs to utilize with wireless routers only support 54 MBPS.

What are my solutions to this? I REALLY want to get these trailers running because my family loves them. The XBMC is the bomb. I am a big time A/V enthusiast and the Medium Quality just doesn't cut it especially for fast pace trailers. Your eyes go nuts.

Thanks in advance for the help.

P.S. I tested my connection speed at broadbandreports.com and it spit out that my download speed is 697 KBPS and my upload speed is 129 KBPS. That's pretty damn quick if you ask me.

poiygon

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2004, 02:43:00 PM »

As long as the cable is good (has no kinks and good shielding) you can run cat5 for 300ft before having to use a repeater. However, if not ran properly, the cable can go to shit in a home environment in a matter of days. Don't run it under the carpets or through any cracks where it can get flatened, and never fold it.

electronut

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2004, 06:47:00 PM »

Thanks guys. My CAT5 cable isn't wall installed. I have it where I can just roll up and put away because my Xbox isn't online full time but now with XBMC installed and the KLM benefit I may just have to smile.gif I'm hooked.

I think it really just comes down to the bandwidth I am getting from Verizon. I called them today and 1 out of the 3 lines in my house qualified for the Business DSL speeds of 1.5KBPS/396KBPS so I ordered it for $10 more per month. I'll see what improvement in performance I get compared to the 697 I get now on the standard DSL service.

I'll know on Oct 25th when the service is activated and will report back.

electronut

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2004, 03:25:00 PM »

I am not sure if you aware of this but go to dslreports.com in the tools sections to test your download speeds.

Already did that my freind.  biggrin.gif  Look further up on my post here to see my results.

Verizon notified me and advised my new service won't kick in until Oct 19th because of a technical "thing" they need to do. Something about removing a coil?? to the new line I ordered the service on.

We will see.

jhoff80

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2004, 09:19:00 PM »

Just to let you know, I have increased my Internet and LAN cache and it didn't help.  When I pause the video though before it plays, and wait about 30 seconds to a minute or so, and then start it, it works fine.

DeaDSOuLz

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2004, 03:21:00 PM »

I can stream them just fine on a 1.5mit DSL connection, only time the huge ones every give me problems is if I am downloading something on my P.C. at the same time, and I am streaming wirelessly over Wireless-G bridge.