xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Question Xbox Windows On Xbox  (Read 268 times)

B-BALL

• Archived User
Question Xbox Windows On Xbox
« on: May 02, 2005, 06:18:00 PM »

if i have windows on my xbox can  still play xbox games off it 2

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 03:40:00 PM »

yes but really it aint worth putting windows on it lol you are wasting your time.

netdroid9

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 01:18:00 AM »

QUOTE(bucko @ May 8 2005, 06:10 AM)
yes but really it aint worth putting windows on it lol you are wasting your time.

I'm refraining myself from calling you an idiot.

There are more apps for windows then there are for linux. Face it, as long as that is true, more people will use windows, and therefore more people will dev for windows, meaning more people will use windows and so-on. Linux is tainted these days, because it's too customisable. There are no actual standards for devs to program with, no applications that every linux distro must have, anything the user needs to add to make a program work requires them to track it down, download it and then install it. With windows, it's simpler to dev because you know what the user will have by default.

At least, that's my understanding of linux.

Basically, get windows, use windows, if you don't know how to use linux wait till someone makes a decent program that automatically downloads and installs critical updates and updates that the apps you have on your computer need.

TrigunXBox

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 01:50:00 AM »

QUOTE(netdroid9 @ May 8 2005, 06:48 AM)
There are no actual standards for devs to program with, no applications that every linux distro must have, anything the user needs to add to make a program work requires them to track it down, download it and then install it. With windows, it's simpler to dev because you know what the user will have by default.

Basically, get windows, use windows, if you don't know how to use linux wait till someone makes a decent program that automatically downloads and installs critical updates and updates that the apps you have on your computer need.

With any good distro, you don't have to track anything down anymore. Most will have some type of package manager that takes care of everything for you.

I burned a CD and DVD with my xbox. I put GentooX on it, then typed "emerge k3b".  It tooks care of installing everything and I was able to burn CD and DVDs with my USB TDK burner with drag and drop ease. Ya, USB 1 is SLOW, but it worked.

As for critical updates,  the same tools handle that.  I updated a server at work today. I typed..

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

A few minutes later, it was done. And boy, that was very hard. :)  I am sure some GUI version of the programs exist for thos who don't like to type.

When is the last time Windows had a way to update the OS and EVERY program you have installed in one shot?

TheDrunkJedi

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 03:23:00 AM »

I think he meant that Windows on Xbox is useless, and trying to play games in Windows on the Xbox certainly is. If you can even get qemo to boot 98 on your box it will run like a PC with 24MG of RAM with a 200Mz CPU. That ain't fast folks, it's usable, but you aren't going to be running Half-Life.
Now for DOS games try the excellent DOSXbox. It ran my old copies of Full Throttle and Sam and Max brilliantly. :D

This post has been edited by TheDrunkJedi: May 8 2005, 10:24 AM

netdroid9

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2005, 03:51:00 AM »

I take back the thing about package management.

OOT: Can you get a USB TV capture thingy to work on an Xbox?

UnReAlMaCk

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 05:11:00 PM »

well, in some way, i am using windows on xbox for halflife  :P  WORKS GREAT with hlds (half life dedicated server) LOL! Could never figure out how to do that on linux  :angry: Linux is too hard to learn and i dont have the time to mess with that BS. Altough i do use it for my xbox, only because its the only thing i can use, untill i install windows that is :P  theirs no way i would EVER use linux on my pc, u cant even play games unless u buy this stupid winex for windows games. and it freezes when you try to use wine with a lot of applications. MOSTLY, ones i need like neXBC or counter-strike  :( . nut linux dose seem to be making a lot of compatible software like nero and LimeWire  :blink: oh ya and wtf happened to www.psphacker.com y is he selling his domain name???now i cant install windows because i dunno where to get the program  :grr: so could someone tell me where i can get this???

This post has been edited by UnReAlMaCk: May 10 2005, 12:13 AM

netdroid9

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 12:46:00 AM »

QUOTE(UnReAlMaCk @ May 10 2005, 07:41 AM)
Could never figure out how to do that on linux  :angry: Linux is too hard to learn and i dont have the time to mess with that BS. Altough i do use it for my xbox, only because its the only thing i can use, untill i install windows that is :P  theirs no way i would EVER use linux on my pc, u cant even play games unless u buy this stupid winex for windows games. and it freezes when you try to use wine with a lot of applications. MOSTLY, ones i need like neXBC or counter-strike

My point exactly.

chimpanzee

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2005, 05:27:00 AM »

There are more apps for windows then there are for linux. Face it, as long as that is true, more people will use windows, and therefore more people will dev for windows, meaning more people will use windows and so-on. Linux is tainted these days, because it's too customisable. There are no actual standards for devs to program with, no applications that every linux distro must have, anything the user needs to add to make a program work requires them to track it down, download it and then install it. With windows, it's simpler to dev because you know what the user will have by default.

At least, that's my understanding of linux.

It is ok to "not like" linux but don't say things you don't know.

linux can have very good package management and you don't need to track things down(I am running standard debian on my xbox).

linux can have as many as(if not more) apps than windows and for those apps that is not available on linux, they may not work on Xbox either, given its hardware limitation.

The one significant advantage of windows over linux(hardware PNP), doesn't apply on xbox at all as the linux port on xbox can already use all the hardware on it.

In fact, I wonder if Windows contains driver for Xbox video hardware at all.

oh, BTW, I do run a usb capturing device on my xbox through linux. Quality is not very good(only 320x240) but fine for regular TV.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2005, 06:40:00 AM »

There are more apps for windows then there are for linux

Prove it, so don't go calling people an idiot wen you can't back up the facts you say.

Edit, and don't say windows has more because more people use windows, more people use windows because m$ shove it down people's throats.

This post has been edited by bucko: May 15 2005, 03:13 PM

punqewe

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2005, 07:50:00 AM »

even just a look at a few rpm sites will tell you alot about how many apps there are for the *NIX....let alone the vast amount of sources there are floating around the web.