xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Run Windows 98 On The Xbox!  (Read 243 times)

m.e

• Archived User
Run Windows 98 On The Xbox!
« on: April 06, 2005, 03:06:00 PM »

Read this

There is also a on going thread about it here

xboxSlayer

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 07:04:00 PM »

Hmm, I'll try it and see if it works.........

leijae

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 01:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(xboxSlayer @ Apr 7 2005, 12:34 AM)
Hmm, I'll try it and see if it works.........

did it?

xboxSlayer

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 06:43:00 PM »

Haven't had time yet, sorry. If you check out the other thread it seems they have had some success.

RanCorX2

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 06:09:00 AM »

I couldn't find my 98se cd so i tried 98, got to bootscreen then quit to dsl desktop after a few mins. gonna look for 98se in a bit.

rykin

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005, 10:49:00 PM »

I've been playing with Windows 98 and qemu on my PC most of the evening because of this. Using <a herf="http://www.litepc.com/98micro.html">98Lite</a> in 98Micro mode, I was able to build a nice image file for Windows 98. I finally got around to uploading it to the Xbox, and Windows booted in under a minute. It ran much better than I had expected it to.

However, I had trouble getting the host CDROM to work with qemu on both my PC and the Xbox. I tried adding /dev/cdrom to the config, but my PC seems to ingnore it.

I haven't played with network settings too much as of yet, but once there's a good way to access the internet/home network with Win98, I imagine it will actually be somewhat useful. (At least more useful than just for show).

smashly

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2005, 07:12:00 AM »

However, I had trouble getting the host CDROM to work with qemu on both my PC and the Xbox. I tried adding /dev/cdrom to the config, but my PC seems to ingnore it.

If your running qemu on a Windows PC (Host PC) you can't mount the CDrom drive. You can however mout other iso images from qemu while you have Win98 (guest OS) running. Use Ctrl+Alt+2 to bring up the qemu consol. From there type help. that'll give you the info on what to type to load a differant CD iso.
To close the qemu consol to get back to Win98 (Guest OS) Ctrl+Alt+1.

For more info on qemu you start by checking out qemu.com
(I'm not affilated with that sight or any other)

Good luck

ZidanneFFIX

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 04:33:00 AM »

this works amazingly
i jsut spent last 4 gours compliing it and tweaking windows 98 se and now have successfully got a 512mb partition with Starcraft 1.12b patched up broodwar with firfox running 24mb of ram baby:) lol it works flawless ly on battle net with my wireless G linksys gmaing adapter too!

a must do for any windows enthusaist i have been working with gentoox fo rht elast year deleted its file system to night jsut for this my next mission.... windows 2k! lol ill keep it posted if it works as for now its it 6 am in the morning and i must go to bed for my victory is complete...

ps with Windows 98 SE ans Starcraft Broodwar fully patched and cracked with a NO-CD patch (since the dvd tray cant read cd-Rs it only takes up 360mb leaving the other 140 for wut ever i want so far 128 of it mp3s:P but for the Windows 2k project i plan to use a 2gb file system since now i have my 4.5 gb back form deleting gentoox:)

total_ass

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2005, 10:56:00 AM »

hey m.e. ive been following the thread in the linux forum. very good :D

if i can manage to get hold of a windows 98 cd i'm definetly gonna give this a try.

i was wondering if anyone knew anything about using a USB keyboard in windows 98. i know that windows 98 (first edition) has no USB support, but does running it under Qemu allow this or is second edition a must?

smashly

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2005, 02:20:00 AM »

qemu uses whatever keys passed for the Host OS , in this case XDSL is the host.

So your xbox controller works the same way in win98 , A= Left mouse click , B= Right mouse click just as it does in XDSL. Same goes for the keyboard , whatever your keyboard is in XDSL is the same in win95 or 98 or 98se or XP.

You can also set keys from within the qemu consol to have just 1 key to represent 2 or 3 keys on your keyboard .
eg: ctrl+alt+delete set to A+S
handy if you need ctrl+alt+delete in Win98 since these keys would conflict with the host os.

This post has been edited by smashly: Apr 11 2005, 09:21 AM

ZidanneFFIX

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2005, 07:22:00 PM »

successfully booted windows 2000 through Qemu also jsut to clear up the emu uses all the hardware that xDSL can see for instance my Wireless G linksys game adapter provides the xDSL with an interent connection and also there for priveds the windows 2000 os the same connection

this windows 2000 is a stripped down version compiled by myself today with sp4 i put together today in class boots in about 1 -2 minutes

am currently striping and tweaking the windows XP pro SP1 i have successfully gotten to boot on the XBox owever freezes and crashes very often due to lack of ram (hence the neccessary tweaking)

djdafreund

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 12:26:00 AM »

Yeah, works for me prefectly as well. For some reason i had to copy the cab files over manually, as it didn't auto do that the 1st time, and was looking for the files when auto-detecting hardware. Once i learned and did that on another fresh install, it worked just fine.

I can't fricken believe win98 is running. And it really does run pretty nicely. I have a pentium 166 i use for my server, and this is much faster then that. Awesome job figuring this out. Sadly that the other Winbox/Xindows or whatever project never did go anywhere other then posts back and forth. Not needed now, as I can personally testify (along with others here so far) it's actually working just fine, nice speed, and fullscreen and all (can't tell your using DML running 98).

speedspeed

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2005, 07:10:00 PM »

ok help me out please if i understand right (i made a win98.iso)and i gotta put it with 98.sh both in the same xdsl folder?

scimitar116

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2005, 04:30:00 PM »

is there a xbox port of Qemu? if not there should be. we could get a (potentially) noticeable speed increase if we skipped linux and went straight to Qemu.

EDIT: btw, i have tried this twice now, and the win98 installation hangs at the date\time properties screen. (at the 'setting up hardware and finalizing settings' section of the install)

running a
P4
1.4GHZ
256MB
40GB
WinXP pro

anyone else havin this prob?

This post has been edited by scimitar116: Apr 14 2005, 11:36 PM

xecuterbox

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2005, 12:19:00 PM »

does USB work

I dont mean USB keyboards like previous post

I mean does usb devices work ie USB storage, after drivers been installed of course.

can someone check this, youll need 09 se to check tho