xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: App To Truncate Filenames After 48 Characters  (Read 111 times)

brando56894

• Archived User
App To Truncate Filenames After 48 Characters
« on: April 11, 2008, 08:36:00 PM »

does anyone have an app that will truncate filenames after 48 characters which i believe is the limit for the fatx names correct? i have a decent amount of roms that either contain invalid characters or the name is too long and they wont transfer. id hate to have to do this manually.

tlamb

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 09:08:00 PM »

if you ftp through xbmc it will auto rename them to be compliant with fatx partitions

brando56894

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 05:30:00 PM »

thats what i thought too but whenever i ftp something flashfxp will have a list of anywhere from 10-100 files with long names and illegal characters such as ()[]# etc..

1hotjob

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 11:22:00 AM »

File Renamer

I use this to rename many files at one time. On the PC I like to have the artist - song, but on the Xbox I like just the song name since it gets too long.

There are many options with this thing. You can use the find and replace. Put { [ ( # or any other unwanted character in the find and leave the replace blank or you can put in a space. You can shorten the file name to how many characters you want. It is a really good piece of software. There is a web site that gives you a lot of tutorial hints. It took me a long time to understand the true power of this software.

Press F2 to bring up the extended options.