xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: FrostyTheSnowman's VGA BIOS/Evox M8plus Patcher v0.8 *bugfix*  (Read 446 times)

FrostyTheSnowman

• Archived User
FrostyTheSnowman's VGA BIOS/Evox M8plus Patcher v0.8 *bugfix*
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2007, 07:57:00 AM »

Wait, you seem to misunderstand.

Using a SCART cable will result in ONLY SCART being outputted. You need to build a VGA cable to use VGA. A SCART cable will not output a VGA signal, regardless of whether you are using a VGA BIOS or not.

The XBOX uses 'mode settings' by use of jumpers in the cables themselves to tell the XBOX what they are. So, a SCART cable will only be usable as a SCART cable, and a VGA cable will only be usable as a VGA cable.

What I was saying before was that Composite, S-Video, etc. will NOT work with a VGA BIOS, but SCART has been known to work properly. But a SCART cable cannot be used as a VGA cable.

However, if you add switches to a SCART cable, you could use it as both a SCART and a VGA cable, depending on which switches are turned on.

flake1

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2007, 08:10:00 PM »

Frosty i am having difficulties getting vga out of my 1.0 xbox that I just installed a new 320 gig seagate drive in with your dual boot vga softmod.  I have a couple questions so I can figure out if its my vga cable a made or the xbox.  What is supposed to happen when you use the eject button to turn on the xbox but you still have the regular component video cables being used?  Is it supposed to just boot and show the same image as if I used the power button?  Also when I built the vga cable I kind of did what you did with the grounds because I didn't have enough wires in my cable so I just linked all the grounds together on the xbox avip and then sent them through the cables copper sheild to the project box where I soldered them to the left and right phono jacks.  Then inside the project box I connected the vga pins 6,7,8 to that same spot.  

Well it didn't seem to work... chip got hot!!

any suggestions

p.s. also when i look at the diagram that shows the pin numbers on the xbox avip top and bottom views mine started off with 24 being a short pin instead of long pin on the top view and same goes for the bottom view pin 1 was a short pin not a long pin.  I had my avip in the exact orientation as the diagram.

flake1

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2007, 09:15:00 PM »

Also I think I need to flash my tsop to a newer bios because I see that it says kernal 3944 which i didn't know because it was running a modchip before and it said 4034.  The original xecuter bios must have been based on this or something.  Anyway should I flash it with your 5101 BIOS?  does it need to be 1024k on my 1.0 board or can it be 256k?

FrostyTheSnowman

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2007, 01:35:00 AM »

If you are willing to do it, I would definately flash your TSOP with my 5101 BIOS. You will need it to be 1024k, unless you are using raincoat. (raincoat automatically resizes the BIOS file before flashing)

But as far as the cable goes, MAKE SURE you wired it 100% correctly, or you will risk your XBOX, your monitor, or both... (and hopefully you didn't damage your LM1881N chip already...)

And as far as the 'short pin/long pin' issue, all XBOX A/V cables are different. The main thing you want to pay attention to is that in the above picture, the side with the 'grey edges' on the sides is the top. (the 'grey edges' are supposed to resemble the 'notches' on the edge of the top side of the connector)

If you turn on the XBOX with the regular composite cable (red, white, yellow cable) the image will be the same. My VGA softmod only changes the video if it detects an HDTV cable, so only HDTV is affected.

So basically:

Eject = HDTV signals modified to output VGA

Power = HDTV signals normal, unchanged

Composite (red, white, yellow cable) is totally unaffected either way.

NOTE: You will not see anything while the 'flubber' is on the screen when you are using VGA. Just wait, and the dashboard will show up in VGA colors after the 'flubber' finishes. (after the 'Microsoft' logo)

FrostyTheSnowman

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2007, 07:05:00 PM »

Yes, that is exactly what happens with the 3944 BIOS. (which is why I say it isn't compatible)

If you flash my 5101 BIOS onto your TSOP, everything will work perfectly.  happy.gif

FrostyTheSnowman

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2007, 06:48:00 PM »

Unfortunately, XBtool is not compatible with my BIOS, sorry... sad.gif

And as far as your 'eject' question goes, the 'tray state' is actually ONLY read when the 'Microsoft' logo appears at the bottom of your screen. So basically, if the tray is in when the 'Microsoft' logo pops up, it will boot normal. If the tray is out when the 'Microsoft' logo pops up, it will boot in VGA.

It's just easier to tell people to power up with the eject button, and leave it ejected until the dashboard shows up.  happy.gif

FrostyTheSnowman

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2007, 06:45:00 AM »

The bugfix for 'green screens' is not actually related to the wiring of the VGA cable, it was an issue with some games not being compatible with VGA. (this has been fixed)

As far as which tutorial you use, it depends on what your monitor supports. If your monitor supports Sync-on-Green, then use the Sync-on-Green tutorial. (Sync-on-Green is easier to wire)

If your monitor does not support Sync-on-Green, you will have to use the other tutorial. Consult your monitor's manual to find out which diagram you should use for your monitor.

FrostyTheSnowman

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2007, 06:40:00 AM »

QUOTE(Osamar @ Jun 8 2007, 05:10 AM) View Post
I have was given a "X2VGA" vgabox, my monitor is a Phillips 107P without SoG, and my Xbox is a v1.4 hard-moded.
If I flash it with the VGA bios I should get all its goodies (no more purple/green psicodelia  blink.gif ).

Has anybody tries it? If not I will make the experiment  biggrin.gif ?
In summer I use my Xbox for Mameing and like media center.

Pd. Please excuse my english.

I've heard of people using my VGA BIOS for the X2VGA adapters, and AFAIK, it should work just fine.  happy.gif

pimpmaul69

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2007, 01:27:00 AM »

QUOTE(FrostyTheSnowman @ May 19 2007, 08:42 AM) View Post

If you are wanting to see 'finished versions' of cables made with Textbook's diagram, you can find pictures of my 3 personal VGA cables here:

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=597313

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=598854

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=534615

all good but if anyone wants  a cable like the ones  that i made that have a pc speaker jack and an lm1881n all in the cable you gotta get creative but yes it can be done.. you need a dremel to remove a large amount of the metal casing
IPB Image
and yes i know in the pic the metal casing isnt pushed in all the way and thats only cause i forgot to do it before taking the pic

AucardThe3rd

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2007, 10:06:00 AM »

Hi there FrostyTheSonwman, i have been reading about your vga bios and I'm interested in using it for a arcade mod I'm updating, now i have a 1.0 xbox soft modded with Krayzie Ndure Installer Version 1.1 for Splinter Cell, and I'm using the evox as my dashboard (the latest version), now the cable I'm using is the innovations xbox compatible vga box adapter/cable, now I'm not expecting top notch quality but just decent. now what i would like to know is

1. does your patch work with soft modded xbox's
2. if so are the instructions the same as for a chipped xbox
3. what changes will i need to make to prepare my xbox for the patch? (new dashboard, apps needed to be installed, etc)

now i had heard that there is some extra option in the bios with Krayzie Ndure installer to turn on vga support but i can't find it so i'm turning to your vga patch for help.

dokworm

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2008, 12:55:00 AM »

My games still come up green that only run in 480i, all progressive games come up in correct colours.

Have I done something wrong?
Pages: 1 2 [3]