xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: FrostyTheSnowman's VGA BIOS/Evox M8plus Patcher v0.8 *bugfix*  (Read 445 times)

FrostyTheSnowman

• Archived User
FrostyTheSnowman's VGA BIOS/Evox M8plus Patcher v0.8 *bugfix*
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2007, 12:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(Spaceman2004 @ May 19 2007, 04:43 AM) View Post
One thing, since my monitors aren't on the "sync on green" list, should I build that little circuit anyways? It's not as if it would do any harm is it?

Actually, I recommend that you use the 'sync-splitter' circuit anyways, that way your VGA cable is compatible with Sync-on-Green and Non-SOG VGA monitors.  happy.gif

But, if your monitor supports Sync-on-Green, then the SOG-VGA cable is alot easier to build.  laugh.gif

@proger: Yep, the Non-SOG 'Sync-Splitting' circuit is compatible with both types of monitors.

Spaceman2004

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2007, 12:56:00 PM »

Thanks again frosty!... I've managed to pull the AV cable apart now, and fix up the VGA cable. (Spare parts in the bottom draw). I didn't have enough time to go to the electronics store, so I'll have to wait a while for the little parts.

I'm looking forward to getting this working!

FrostyTheSnowman

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2007, 04:48:00 PM »

I have created a 'VGA Patcher v0.8 Compatibility Thread' in the Audio/Video Technical Forums, if anyone is using the new VGA Patcher v0.8 or Evox M8+ VGA Patcher (Based on VGA Patcher v0.8) and could post their results there, it would be much appreciated.  happy.gif

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=604056

FrostyTheSnowman

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2007, 09:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(dustobub @ May 20 2007, 08:42 PM) View Post

Can this work with keeping the spdif optical out of my HD av cable? I read through the tutorial on 360mods, but they used a regular AV cable and stereo rca outputs. I really need to maintain my digital out. Does anyone know how to get vga out (with this bios) while keeping a digital out? Thanks.

Dustin

Yes, you can easily add SP/DIF Coaxial or SP/DIF Optical to that diagram and it will work just fine.  happy.gif

Or, you could also just add VGA (And also add Coaxial SP/DIF too if you want, like I did) to a Microsoft HDTV Pack, like I did for my wife's XBOX.

Here are the pictures to give you a better idea:

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=598854

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2007, 03:07:00 PM »

Just a thought, is there 1.6 support for the X3 bios? I maybe looking to buy a VGA cable soon that is homemade for my 1.6 box.

Be great if you could add 1.6 support, if I get this cable soon I would be happy to test.

FrostyTheSnowman

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2007, 05:41:00 PM »

Well, unfortunately i'm not sure if there will ever be a v1.6 VGA solution...   sad.gif

The GPU is patched properly for RGB(VGA) in all versions of the XBOX with my VGA patcher, but the GPU is only half the battle, the encoder needs to be patched for RGB(VGA) too... and only the Conexant and Focus are able to do that at the moment.

The reason for this is that the Conexant and Focus encoders actually have their full datasheets available online from their manufacturers, but the Xcalibur (v1.6 XBOXes) was internally developed by Microsoft and the datasheet for it is locked away deep inside Redmond...  sad.gif

Without that datasheet, programming the Xcalibur encoder is basically like shooting at bugs on the floor in a pitch black room with a BB gun...  laugh.gif

flake1

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2007, 06:49:00 PM »

Hi,  I have an xbox v1.0 with the original xecuter modchip in it and I want to patch it so it will display vga.  Is this possible or am I screwed?  I don't want to buy a new modchip.

Thanks

mcloum

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2007, 09:27:00 AM »

QUOTE(dustobub @ May 22 2007, 10:31 PM) View Post

If you already have xbox component cables, and a sync on green monitor, save a lot of time and just order this cable, it does exactly what you need. I just took my component cables, and bought some RCA-BNC adapters ($$) because I need them for my CRT front projector, then flashed Frosty's bios, and perfection. This cable will do the same thing but has a vga connector and is dirt cheap. No need to modify any cable or install a vga port.

http://www.national-.../30h1-50200.htm

Dustin

This looks intresting to me because i dont have a spare xbox av cable and cant seem to find one anywhere but the website says this:

This cable is not designed to connect a VGA output from a PC to the component video input on a TV or a component video output from any video device to the VGA input on a monitor.

To me that reads it can't be used for the xbox output to the VGA input so it wouldnt work? If thats true then what is it for?

FrostyTheSnowman

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2007, 09:32:00 AM »

That cable is normally designed to input component video into *compatible* projectors over VGA.

The reason why they say it wont work is because that cable does not convert the video signals, it only changes the actual cable. (most monitors do not accept component video, and most computers cannot output component video over VGA, which is why they say that)

However, my VGA patchers do change the signal inside the XBOX itself, so my VGA patchers combined with a component cable and that adapter does work.  happy.gif

NOTE: That cable setup is ONLY compatible with Sync-on-Green VGA monitors. You will need to look at the specifications of your monitor to see if your monitor supports Sync-on-Green.

FrostyTheSnowman

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2007, 10:07:00 AM »

QUOTE(mcloum @ May 24 2007, 08:15 AM) View Post

Thanks Frosty. Dont suppose you know where i can grab a spare xbox cable to make my own do you? Or buy a ready made one?

I'm not sure about the UK, but I know that you can find used XBOX video cables (any kind) for about $5 here in the US in most used game shops.

Also, AFAIK, no one here on Xbox-Scene.com sells any ready-made cables. I might end up selling some down the road, but right now I don't think anyone is doing it.

Spaceman2004

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2007, 11:38:00 AM »

QUOTE(mcloum @ May 24 2007, 05:15 PM) View Post

Thanks Frosty. Dont suppose you know where i can grab a spare xbox cable to make my own do you? Or buy a ready made one?

Here ya go!

http://www.consolepl...-cable-for-xbox
http://www.hmv.co.uk...t...&sku=146553

FrostyTheSnowman

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2007, 07:31:00 PM »

The resistor does not need to be changed for different resolutions. Just use either a 320k, a 470k, or a 680k resistor, and you will be fine for all resolutions.

NOTE: I recommend using a 470k personally, but the only difference between the resistors is how compatible they are with your monitor. 470k seems to be the best resistor though, IMO.

FrostyTheSnowman

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2007, 10:45:00 PM »

QUOTE(citrus @ May 28 2007, 07:36 AM) View Post

I'm interested in building a VGA cable for my HDTV, so I need this bios, but if I have to use a s-video/composite cable, is it still possible to switch from vga to s-video without changing bios?
thanks.

At the moment, no. You will need to be able to use a normal BIOS to use normal video cables.

BIOSes patched with my VGA patchers are only compatible with VGA cables. (although, SCART cables have been known to work properly too)

flake1

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2007, 09:59:00 PM »

Also which pins on the avip are the grounds?

FrostyTheSnowman

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2007, 08:36:00 AM »

I'm sure that a 470k 1/4 watt resistor would work fine, I just used a 1/2 watt for good measure. (plus, I have a lot of them laying around)

And as far as the AVIP ground pins go, maybe these diagrams will help:

(pay attention to the minus symbols in this picture)

IPB Image

(pins 6, 7, and 8 are the ground pins on the VGA connector in this picture)

IPB Image
Pages: 1 [2] 3