xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Removing The Points  (Read 72 times)

aeuui

• Archived User
Removing The Points
« on: January 04, 2004, 03:43:00 AM »

I'm worring about stories telling that people leaving the solder points having problem (error 13) with corrupt tsop

How many of you are leaving the write enable solder points after flashing?

Thank you !!!  <

speedbump47

• Archived User
Removing The Points
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2004, 06:08:00 AM »

If you don't mind me asking, where are you seeing these posts?  I too have the TSOP points still connected (for future upgradeability), and your post sort of got me worried.  I did a search as best I could, and only found 1 article mentioning this, and that was posted a few days ago.  I was not aware of a huge amount of these problems.

Just wanted to see where there was any more information/postings about this so I can see if I can/should do anything to protect myself.
 <

aeuui

• Archived User
Removing The Points
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2004, 09:14:00 AM »

I just saw 1 thread too on that subject. But one is already too much for me. I've use defrost repair paint (easy to remove with alcool). Like you said If I can leave them like that for future update (without any risk) It will be easier (I flash a few xbox already so a lot of point to redone)

If anyone know something about the risk (beside flashing by mistake) It would be nice to report it here.

thank you  <

shank69xo

• Archived User
Removing The Points
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2004, 09:32:00 AM »

I have had a TSOP flashed box for a year now with the points bridged. That is crazy. It is just a write-protection. You do not need to worry about it. If I am wrong then slap me. But I also have done about 100 TSOP flashes for people and no one has ever complained about any error. I thought Error 13 has something to do with the DVD-ROM drive.  <

speedbump47

• Archived User
Removing The Points
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2004, 01:22:00 PM »

The error 13 is regarding the xbox not being able to load the dashboard or unlock the drive or something.  I believe error 11 is the DVD drive not being present.

In regards to the 1st post, the fact that the xbox booted at all, and showed an error # is proof enough that the bios was still intact.  It would just flash red/green otherwise, so it's not an issue with the TSOP being fried.  <

aeuui

• Archived User
Removing The Points
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2004, 02:31:00 PM »

I think 100 box without any problems is a good way to tell that there's no really problem leaving the connections (except accidental flashing)

But do you think in the future MS could integrated some code in their games/updates to flash our box? Original box are write protect anyway!!!

<

speedbump47

• Archived User
Removing The Points
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2004, 02:41:00 PM »

I was thinking the same thing earlier, but didn't want to write it because it was probably too paranoid :)

However, I do wish I had an xbox whose write points were only on the top of the mobo, where a quick swipe of alcohol could remove my writeability.  As it stands, I'd have to take the mobo out to get the bottom defogger as well.

If you're really scared, and have a v1.0 or v1.1, you can install the TSOP switch, and no one could kill your xbox, since you'd always have a functional bank (as long as you weren't stupid).

This post has been edited by speedbump47: Jan 4 2004, 10:42 PM <

aeuui

• Archived User
Removing The Points
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2004, 02:52:00 PM »

It's not that I'm paranoid but I did 2 of my friend Box and I'm planning doing more. I don't want to be responsable of them all if something happen to their TSOP.

I've done either 1 on top and 1 on bottom (v.1.0 1.1) or 2 on tops and 1 on bottom (v.1.2-5) What if I remove only the top points? There gonna be writeproted again? (easier than removing the motherboard at each upgrade)

I don't think incorporated code to flash our chip in games would be impossible (never know) at least checking if it's write protect.

I really think I'm gonna remove them, anyway we don't have bios update very often (I flashed with 4979.06)  <

speedbump47

• Archived User
Removing The Points
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2004, 03:09:00 PM »

It'd be great if removing one of the points write-protected the whole chip.  I would think that the case, since people who don't do both properly can't flash at all (be the points solely on the top, or top/bottom).  

Could someone confirm that undoing just one of the top points effectively write-protects the chip again?

I think I'll do it too, if that is the case.  Though I'll likely wait until after the potential (rumored) new X2 bios with automatic live disabling comes to market.  <