xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: What Is It?  (Read 69 times)

Glass

• Archived User
What Is It?
« on: February 15, 2006, 08:50:00 PM »

dry.gif I have used flashfxp for over a year now and no problems.  Today I was going to connect to my box and  mad.gif  no deal.  

I am using a crossover cable - no firewall - The network would connect but the program would not.  I reloaded it and still no deal.  Tried WS_FTP and no deal.  

I changed IP addresses and DNS settings to no avail!

Any ideas on what I can do next?

Thank you for your time.

LostIt

• Archived User
What Is It?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 03:04:00 AM »

I just erased a fairly detailed answer to give you a link instead. No point in me rewriting what has already been written (on this site none the less.) Here's the link.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=183856&st=0

FYI When I have a question I find using the (IMG:http://images.xbox-scene.com/forums/style_images/oldx/search.gif) button helps.

PS If it WAS working and is no longer... could you give a bit more detail? Have you changed anyhting recently? Are you using XBMC, I've had problems with XBMC's FTP server ignoring my connection requests. Another reason why having at least one other "dash" that has a built in ftp server is important. If you can, try updating XBMC if that is the case.

This post has been edited by LostIt: Feb 16 2006, 11:06 AM

Glass

• Archived User
What Is It?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 07:32:00 AM »

I am well aware of the search button and how to use it.  I tried it FYI and it said the system was down.

I also looked through about 166 pages in this forum for the answer.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

This program and network had worked for over a year with no problems.  That means it was used on chipped boxes and softmodded boxes.  Yesterday it just quit working.

There was a connection between the box and the system (network was connected) but no program (ws_ftp or flashfxp) would connect to the box.

Thank you for your time and trouble.

This post has been edited by Glass: Feb 16 2006, 03:36 PM

LostIt

• Archived User
What Is It?
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 10:17:00 AM »

Then you need to think about what changed because something did. Just hope that it was something software (which is the most likely case) and not hardware failure. You still didn't answer any of my questions though so I (or prolly anyone else) can't help you (without more info.)

-What dash (or ftp server) are you running on the box?

-Have you tried any other FTP server software on the box?

-Have you double checked your network settings like the IP on both your box and PC? (They may have changed without your knowledge.)

-What IPs are you using (PC and xbox)?

-Have you tried disabling your PC's firewall(s) (if any?)

-What firewall(s) are you using? Some firewall software auto updates (like windows) and these updates can sometimes change settings or program behavior.

-Does your PC also have a broadband connection? If so, how do you hook that up?

-Can you think of anything that you changed in the time leading to the ftp failure?

-Are you the only user of your PC and box? (Kids can do amazingly odd things to electronics when your back is turned!)

-Do you have another crossover cable to try?

-How do you know your network is connected if you can't ftp? (RSS feed on the xbox?)

This post has been edited by LostIt: Feb 16 2006, 06:27 PM

Glass

• Archived User
What Is It?
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 03:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(LostIt @ Feb 16 2006, 10:48 AM) View Post

Then you need to think about what changed because something did. Just hope that it was something software (which is the most likely case) and not hardware failure. You still didn't answer any of my questions though so I (or prolly anyone else) can't help you (without more info.)

How can it be hardware failure if I can connect to the internet?  Also connect to the box.

-What dash (or ftp server) are you running on the box?
Using unleashx on all boxes both chipped and softmodded
-Have you tried any other FTP server software on the box?
No.
-Have you double checked your network settings like the IP on both your box and PC? (They may have changed without your knowledge.)
As mentioned in first post changed them to no avail.
-What IPs are you using (PC and xbox)?

PC:
IP 192.168.1.12
Sub 255.255.255.0
Gate 192.168.1.1

Box:
IP 192.168.0.101
Sub 255.255.255.0
Gate 192.168.100.1

-Have you tried disabling your PC's firewall(s) (if any?)
First post = no firewall
-What firewall(s) are you using? Some firewall software auto updates (like windows) and these updates can sometimes change settings or program behavior.
-Does your PC also have a broadband connection? If so, how do you hook that up?
Yes - DSL
-Can you think of anything that you changed in the time leading to the ftp failure?
No
-Are you the only user of your PC and box? (Kids can do amazingly odd things to electronics when your back is turned!)
Have no children at home - youngest 29 yrs old Yes I am the only user.
-Do you have another crossover cable to try?
No
-How do you know your network is connected if you can't ftp? (RSS feed on the xbox?)
Can tell by the network connetion icon that it is connected

Glass

• Archived User
What Is It?
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 01:52:00 PM »

Ok! I have tried xbox ftp program and cannot ftp to pc.  I know the crossover works becasue I can ftp between two boxes.

What changes could be made to the pc system that would not allow any ftp program to ftp to or from the box?

LostIt

• Archived User
What Is It?
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 08:54:00 PM »

Try

PC:
IP 192.168.1.12
Sub 255.255.255.0
Gate None Needed

Box:
IP 192.168.1.13
Sub 255.255.255.0
Gate None needed

Your subnet mask (255.255.255.0)  tells your pc (and xbox) that the first 3 out of the four numbers in their IP addresses need to be the same. If they are not then your PC and/or xbox will try to connect to the gateway (which you don't have or need with a crossover cable) to ask it to relay the data to another network.

A good page I found related is linked below.

TCP/IP Basics

That should work. (I hope.)  pop.gif

I am wondering though how you connect your DSL to your PC. USB or ethernet? If ethernet do you have a second NIC on the PC or just unplug it when you need to hook up to a box?

Glass

• Archived User
What Is It?
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 09:24:00 PM »

Well I want to "Thank You" for your reply and that fixed my problem  biggrin.gif  What I don't understand is why it worked for over a year and then quick working.  

I connect to the net through ethernet.  I am thinking of installing a wireless system since this is a laptop.  I would have one connection with a notebook adapter and then still have my other connection for the box.

Would that be a better way to go, since now I have to continuously change my settings to go back and forth?

I really do thank you for your time and patience, although you came on a little strong at first  sad.gif

I always unplugged the net and then plugged in the box.  Never had to change settings.

I bookmarked the page you listed and will research it. Again thanks!

parrapa

• Archived User
What Is It?
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2006, 01:15:00 PM »

hi people, just want to say i have the same problem as the guy above...i have tried the setting that have been sugested here and they still dont work.  I am running flash FXP with evox as my dash and although it does seem to connect it stops half way through and then times out :-(

Anybody have any ideas?

thanks for your help.

and to help you along a bit here is what happens in Flash FXP :-

WinSock 2.0 -- OpenSSL 0.9.7g 11 Apr 2005
[R] Connecting to 192.168.1.13 -> IP=192.168.1.13 PORT=21
[R] Connected to 192.168.1.13
[R] 220 Please enter your login name now.
[R] USER xbox
[R] 331 Password required for xbox.
[R] PASS (hidden)
[R] 230 User xbox logged in , proceed.
[R] SYST
[R] 215 UNIX Type: L8
[R] FEAT
[R] 502 feat is not implemented.
[R] REST 100
[R] 502 rest is not implemented.
[R] This site may not allow file resuming
[R] PWD
[R] 257 "/" is current directory
[R] TYPE A
[R] 200 Type set to ASCII.
[R] PASV
[R] 502 pasv is not implemented.
[R] PORT 192,168,1,12,8,192
[R] 425 Can't open data connection to 192.168.1.12:49160
[R] List Error
[R] PASV
[R] 502 pasv is not implemented.
[R] PORT 192,168,1,12,8,233
[R] 425 Can't open data connection to 192.168.1.12:59656
[R] List Error

thanks again

LostIt

• Archived User
What Is It?
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2006, 01:09:00 PM »

Have you tried any other dashes? Looks like EvoX won't (or can't) run in passive mode. That means the xbox is trying to connect to your PC to send data. For some reason your PC can't (or won't) accept incoming connections. Try using a different dash... or maybe disabling PASV mode in FXP...

(Pretty sure above is true... I'm on my way out so no time to verify ATM.)