xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Need Help ! Flashfxp To Xbox...please  (Read 72 times)

nadcraker

• Archived User
Need Help ! Flashfxp To Xbox...please
« on: May 04, 2005, 01:16:00 AM »

How are your IP settings on your PC's NIC? Are you using a static IP? If so, make sure your on the same network as your xbox (the first 3 octets of both IPs are the same).  Also, maybe unfirewall your NIC's connection.  Are you using a router or crossover cable?       Also, make sure PASSIVE/PASV mode is off in your FTP client.

phatmax_666

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 08:06:00 PM »

If your xbox IP is 192.168.0.100 config in flash fxp should be like that :

Adress : 192.168.0.100
user : xbox
pass : xbox
port : 21
remothe path : leave it blank

BUT in order to work you have to go to :

Control panel -> Network and dial-up connection

After that right click on local area network and select properties. Click on internet protocol (TCP/IP) and choose properties. Instead of the automatic IP select use the following IP. And set it like that :

Ip : 192.168.0.X (where the X is another number than the one on ur xbox ... for myself I always use 5)
Subnet mask : 255.255.255.0 (should appear by itself when clicking in it after you chose the IP)

Then ok ... ok and wait for it it'll change. ONLY after that you can connect to your xbox properly !

Max

Syntax010

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 07:40:00 AM »

Ok, I had problems initially in connecting to my Xbox via FlashFXP. Here are a few things to keep in mind and consider when doing the settings on your XP under "network". These are mostly important if you are using a router to connect your Xbox to your computer and Internet connection.

#1 Does your router have a built in DHCP sever? Most modern ones do. If so, its much easier to get your Xbox to be able to talk to your LAN if you go under "network" settings and set it to "auto" and turn off "static" and turn on "DHCP". This will make your Xbox look to your router's built in DHCP server for getting the correct IP address that it needs to talk to your LAN.

#2 Is your "gateway" addres under "network" set to the correct one? Most routers default to something like 192.168.1.1 but the Xbox defaults to trying to look at 192.168.0.1 for some reason. These are completely different addresses and if your Xbox is not looking at the correct one, then it won't be able to talk to your LAN and vice versa.

#3 Is your XP and/or your FlashFXP set to use "passive" or "active" FTP? There is a difference and overall i've had the best success using active ftp instead of passive ftp. Keep in mind that if you try to connect to your Xbox over Internet Explorer that you have to turn off "passive ftp" AND "browse ftp as folders" under the "advance" tab of Internet Explorer Internet Tools. Either one still being checked will make it default to using passive FTP.

#4 Is your dash configured to turn on the FTP server by default? Is it set to allow at least 2 users and set to a user name and password that you know is correct? Just using the user name xbox and password xbox works well since there is no confusion over trying to remember the correct login user name or password to the Xbox.

#5 Is your router configured to allow an additional DHCP slot for your Xbox? If, for example, you have 2 PCs on your router to connect to your Internet and your router is only set to create 2 DHCP connections, and you plug your Xbox in, it won't do anything with the Xbox because that requires a 3rd DHCP address. Try going into your router settings and making sure that your router is set to allow at least 3 DHCP connections, so it will then by default create an additional connection for your Xbox.

#6 What is the quality of the ethernet cable you are using to connect to your router? Using at least Cat5 ethernet cable is recommended, but i'd personally recommend using Cat5e, Fast Cat5e or Cat6 ethernet cable. I'd also recommend checking the cable. If either of the "ends" are damaged or loose, or if the cable has gotten smashed, stepped on, or bent too badly, it can break. In that case it won't work and you'll need a new cable to connect your Xbox to your router.

#7 Make sure your firewall is set to let FlashFXP actually talk to something outside your computer. This is very easy to overlook, especially if you use the Windows firewall that is built into XP. If your firewall is blocking FlashFXP then it won't talk to anything, including your Xbox.

#8 Is your TCP/IP on your Windows XP configured correctly? You will need TCP/IP, and MS File and Printer Sharing installed for best results. You will also need to have your TCP/IP settings setup to allow NETBIOS over TCP/IP connections. This can be another thing easily overlooked. Some people will disable the TCP/IP NETBIOS helper under system services. It isn't very necessary, unless you want to do LAN networking, including to your Xbox, so make sure that under "control panel" ---> "administrative tools" ---> "services" that the TCP/IP NETBIOS helper service is set to "automatic" and not "manual" or "disabled"