xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Most Hard Drive Tools Gone?  (Read 73 times)

cats

• Archived User
Most Hard Drive Tools Gone?
« on: December 08, 2004, 02:50:00 PM »

Well, I too am on a quest to read the contents of my FATX HD in Windows (xbox died), and the programs in the tools section (i.e. HDD-Driver) failed to do anything for me, they just shut down the second i go to read the drive.  If you know of any tools that actually worked for you, by all means let me know.

wickedmachine

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2004, 11:43:00 PM »

Holy crap i have been on this same mission to find a program that actually works for winxp so that i can read my xbox drive, all i need to do is get into the hdd and get into the damn folder that i made for backup things that i was getting ready to transfer to my pc and i got side tracked and blah blah blah, man if ANYONE has or knows of any info for a program like this PLEASE RESPOND!!!!!!

napalmpje

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2004, 09:38:00 AM »

biggrin.gif

wickedmachine

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2004, 12:24:00 PM »

smile.gif but i cant find a program that will work!!

pheurton

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 02:05:00 PM »

QUOTE (wickedmachine @ Dec 12 2004, 09:27 PM)
Well yea...it would be nice to have a disc that was signed so i could boot my box up and that would fix my problem, but i am looking for a program that will run off of my pc, i have my xbox harddrive hooked up to my pc becasue i am trying to read it and find a file that is on there because i need to open it up and change the settings so taht my soft modded box will start up smile.gif but i cant find a program that will work!!

Xlinux is very good at reading fatx (xbox) partitions. All you need is linux command line knowledge, which is very similar to DOS. You can find the commands online anywhere.

Step 1 - Download xlinux ISO and burn to CD

Step 2 - restart and boot cd, press enter

Step 3 - mount the xbox drive (which is listed in /dev as hda5#, #being the partition, and depending on the IDE channel it could be hdc. run an ls on /dev to see all devices)
mkdir /mnt/xbox
mount -t fatx /dev/hda51 /mnt/xbox (mounts it into the dir you just made)

Step 4 - do you see your xbox files? voila
ls /mnt/xbox

Then with a text editor you should be able to change your settings, good luck

As for WHY linux can run fatx so well and windows can't so well, I'm not sure.

wickedmachine

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2004, 11:17:00 AM »

OH MY GOD... I THINK YOU JUST GAVE ME THE INFO THAT I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR, I WILL REPLY WHEN I HAVE TRIED IT (AT WORK RIGHT NOW)!!!

wickedmachine

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2004, 07:17:00 AM »

Well i installed Redhat on another pc i have and i booted it up and i have the xbox hdd as a slave to see if i can read it and it wont show up in linux, but my pc recognizes the drive and its unlocked but do i need to try to install linux on a sector of the xbox hdd? and then see if it will show the other info on the partitions? THANKS IN ADVANCE GUYS!!!!!

joioi50

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2004, 08:09:00 AM »

QUOTE (pheurton @ Dec 13 2004, 11:08 PM)
Xlinux is very good at reading fatx (xbox) partitions. All you need is linux command line knowledge, which is very similar to DOS. You can find the commands online anywhere.

Step 1 - Download xlinux ISO and burn to CD

Step 2 - restart and boot cd, press enter

Step 3 - mount the xbox drive (which is listed in /dev as hda5#, #being the partition, and depending on the IDE channel it could be hdc. run an ls on /dev to see all devices)
mkdir /mnt/xbox
mount -t fatx /dev/hda51 /mnt/xbox (mounts it into the dir you just made)

Step 4 - do you see your xbox files? voila
ls /mnt/xbox

Then with a text editor you should be able to change your settings, good luck

As for WHY linux can run fatx so well and windows can't so well, I'm not sure.

will this actually make locked xbox hdd to work on pc or is it just for unlocked drives???

julio9

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2005, 11:35:00 AM »

I've also been looking for a tool to do this.  I have a USB to IDE converter that I use to access hard drives on a regular basis.  I want to be able to do a hot swap without having to open up my other, modified xbox.  I have a couple of questions regarding this xlinux CD.  

Does this xlinux CD allow access to the rest of your hard drives?  
More importantly, does it have USB support?  
Is it all a command prompt, or is it a windowed environment?

From research I've done, FATX is very similar to a regular FAT file system.  Only all the programs written for the xbox hard drive that I've seen only allow access to certain portions of the drive (like the cache and save folders).  Is it possible to install FATX drivers, similar to NTFS drivers needed on a win98 machine?  That way, you could access the drive in a typical windows environment.

Thanks for the help.

Rockwell108

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2005, 07:16:00 PM »

Is it possible to use a Live cd like suse live or do i have to use xlinux because im having issues finding a distro for xlinux