xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Pc Drive That Can Read Xbox Dvds?  (Read 87 times)

dragonforce99

• Archived User
Pc Drive That Can Read Xbox Dvds?
« on: February 22, 2004, 12:23:00 AM »

A long time ago someone claimed that they flashed their PC DVD Drive so that it can read the XBOX DVDs right on the PC.

Does anyone know if something like this is around? I mean a PC Program, sort of like Nero, Record Now, etc. that will actually be able to read the XBOX File System on the DVD and back it up to a PC Folder instead of going through the XBOX and transfering it via ethernet to the PC.

moistness

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 05:30:00 AM »

Yep, read about it, decided it was bullshit, ignored it! wink.gif

Krusty2k

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2004, 01:49:00 PM »

Problem is the xbox reads the disc backwards (Outside -> Inside), it also spins game discs backwards. Hence when you burn your disc you cant read it at all in your burner. From what i can tell the ISO utils actually make the ISO backwards - but its an ISO so the burner app just pokes 0's and 1's on the DVD without thinking. As the TOC is in the wrong area (and is likely nothing like a normal DVD/CD TOC) it cant read it back.

I think someone *could* write a driver for a PC to read the discs if they cared enough, but it would seem pointless as you can read it VERY fast from the xbox via FTP anyhow.

I could be all wrong as im no coder but this is how i understand it to work.

tailspower2001

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2004, 02:43:00 AM »

QUOTE (dragonforce99 @ Feb 22 2004, 10:23 AM)
A long time ago someone claimed that they flashed their PC DVD Drive so that it can read the XBOX DVDs right on the PC.

Does anyone know if something like this is around? I mean a PC Program, sort of like Nero, Record Now, etc. that will actually be able to read the XBOX File System on the DVD and back it up to a PC Folder instead of going through the XBOX and transfering it via ethernet to the PC.

Most PC and Mac CD/DVD-ROM drives don't understand the formating of the X-BOX CDs and DVDs. That's why runing X-BOX Games on Windows Is't an easy thing to do, that's also why Acholo 120% can't make back-ups of Gamecube and X-BOX games.    

pop.gif

ph34r.gif

tongue.gif

beerchug.gif

blackbishop

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2004, 08:42:00 AM »

Very ture.

But if we take what we have learned form Xdfs it would not be all that hard to write a system file that would be able to read an xbox game disk or and xbox hd.

It all just boils down to supporting the file system for window or what ever os you are using.

desertboy

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2004, 06:35:00 AM »

QUOTE (Krusty2k @ Mar 5 2004, 11:49 PM)
Problem is the xbox reads the disc backwards (Outside -> Inside), it also spins game discs backwards. Hence when you burn your disc you cant read it at all in your burner. From what i can tell the ISO utils actually make the ISO backwards - but its an ISO so the burner app just pokes 0's and 1's on the DVD without thinking. As the TOC is in the wrong area (and is likely nothing like a normal DVD/CD TOC) it cant read it back.

I think someone *could* write a driver for a PC to read the discs if they cared enough, but it would seem pointless as you can read it VERY fast from the xbox via FTP anyhow.

I could be all wrong as im no coder but this is how i understand it to work.

Why does the disk spin the same way as a normal cd then. Easily checked eject the disk while spinning even originals spin the same way. So sorry this is utter bullshit.

GC disks spin the same way too, there are plenty of things they could do to make it unreadable without resorting to such tricks.

If I am wrong may god strike you down with a stone (I like my phrasing better than the original).

CocodaMonkey

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2004, 04:28:00 PM »

QUOTE (desertboy @ Mar 16 2004, 04:35 PM)
Why does the disk spin the same way as a normal cd then. Easily checked eject the disk while spinning even originals spin the same way. So sorry this is utter bullshit.

You misunderstood what they meant. The games are written backwards. As in data is written on the outside and then inward. Where as normal cd's are written from the inside outward. This change does not effect the way the disc spins at all. That remains the same. It just messes up drives because for example the TOC is suppost to be in the few couple of bits of a DVD. I don't know the exact numbers of bits but since it's written backwards that means it's looking in the wrong spot and never finds it, thus the computer fails to read it.

As for reading xbox disc's on a PC it is possible and a few have done it but it's really not worth the effort. In order to do it you need to change the firmware on your DVD drive and if you mess it up you'll destroy the DVD drive. So I mean really, why take the risk since you can just do it off the xbox and it works just as fast if you have 100baseT network home network, whcih most people do.

Also the only drives with rewritten firmware to accomplish this are samsung and only 2 or three models are supported (Or well I should say 2 or three models have rewritten firmware, nobody actually offers support smile.gif) So if you have anything other then one of those models you'd have to rewrite the firmware yourself. In effect every drive needs it's own special firmware. Of course once you do get it you can easily use programs like nero or alcohol 120% to copy xbox DVD's.

BloodyMary

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2004, 02:54:00 AM »

Ok here's a little piece I thought I'd throw in.  You can hook up a regular PC DVD-ROM drive to your xbox without flashing the firmware on it and use it to play your BACKUPS on your xbox.  Simply split the power from your xbox hard drive with a regular y power spliter (readily available a radio shack).  Then remove the ide connector from your xbox dvd drive and connect it to the pc dvd drive, connect one end of the split power to the pc dvd drive and the other to the xbox hard drive.  Put your backup's in and go...  I have tried this and it works great... I don't want to say for sure, but I would say that this means that the firmware on the DVD drive is unimportant... anyway... I think it would be interesting to get a pc to be able to read the xbox dvds.

obcd

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 12:47:00 PM »

Why are you replying to a threat of march 2004?
Do you really think the guy who started it is still checking it for new answers?

zman519

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(obcd @ Nov 15 2010, 02:47 PM) View Post

Why are you replying to a threat of march 2004?
Do you really think the guy who started it is still checking it for new answers?

ya ROFL i'm just as bad heeh last post of 2011 I think