xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: File Rename Issue  (Read 48 times)

twospoons

• Archived User
File Rename Issue
« on: November 08, 2003, 08:08:00 AM »

hello all, a friend wants a very large mp3 collection transfered to his xbox... i'll experimenting with fatx renamer and prexboxcopytool... but they don't do exactly what i'm looking for... all the songs in this collection are name in the following format:

artist - (album) tracknumberXX - songtitle.mp3

the problem the fatx renamer is that when tranfering, song artist/album names are so long that it ends up overwriting the previous file in the album everytime it renames the next.  also it is chopping the songtitle off...

the problem with prexboxcopytool is that it is still chopping the songtitles off...

what i'm looking for is a utility that with chop out the "(album)" first before just truncating the end of the file.

any takers?

daMaster

• Archived User
File Rename Issue
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2003, 10:09:00 AM »

QUOTE (twospoons @ Nov 8 2003, 01:08 PM)
hello all, a friend wants a very large mp3 collection transfered to his xbox... i'll experimenting with fatx renamer and prexboxcopytool... but they don't do exactly what i'm looking for... all the songs in this collection are name in the following format:

artist - (album) tracknumberXX - songtitle.mp3

the problem the fatx renamer is that when tranfering, song artist/album names are so long that it ends up overwriting the previous file in the album everytime it renames the next.  also it is chopping the songtitle off...

the problem with prexboxcopytool is that it is still chopping the songtitles off...

what i'm looking for is a utility that with chop out the "(album)" first before just truncating the end of the file.

any takers?

write a Perl script to rename the files on your PC before transferring them to the XBox.  Keep in mind that the filename length limit on the XBox is 42 characters, including the file extension.